Chapter 3- So Much More Than This

Start from the beginning

My dad took Amare in when he was 17 and I was 16.  He stayed in an apartment downtown and took care of his little brother. I don't really know specifics but I know his dad was never around and his mom had a problem with alcohol.

Amare was over the video team at church, at least he was in my high school years. At the time he was nerdy and small, I never paid him any attention. His little brother Elijah was always at his side.

I looked over and glanced at the clock. It's 8:45am.

I'm going to be late... Great.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The cafe was small and cozy, compared to the cool fall air. I wore jeans and a sweater with matching brown boots. I let my hair do its own thing in its usual afro as I was too concentrated on the dream I had to even bother putting it up.

I saw him, sitting in a little corner. His hair was wavy down his back, he had on a jean jacket with a white tee under it, the same gold chain around his neck.

"Hi," I sat down at the chair in front of him. Files of various papers lay before him at the table.

"How are you Ms. Aniyah?" He didn't even bother to look up at me as he rummaged through the files.

"I am well, How are you Amare?" He finally looked up, his eyes connecting with mine.

"You look nice Aniyah," He gave me a simple smile, avoiding my question.

"Thank you Amare," I looked down at my hands, nervous to meet his gaze again.

Am I blushing...

"Um... listen I wont keep you long, but there is some thing you should know. Honestly I think your dad would kill me for telling you but so be it....," he grabbed a paper out of the file. "I don't even know how to say this."

"Amare listen, I can take it. It can't be that bad."

"Did you bring the letter?" he looked at me hopeful.

"Yeah I have it...," I looked down and pulled it out of my bag.

I slid it across to him. He picked it up and examined it.

"You didnt open it?!" He let out in a loud tone. Many people around us looked over. He quieted down and took a breath. "Aniyah, this would have been so much easier if you would have opened it."

"Listen, just tell me, I don't understand why this is so important."  I looked at him, his face softened. Almost into a look of pity.

"Amare, you're scaring me...."

"Listen, open it." He slid it across back to me.

No more running Niyah

I opened the envelope. A single piece of paper fell out.

"It's yours...." I read. I looked up at Amare "I'm confused."

"There's something else in there."

I reached into the small envelope.  It's a check.

"To Aniyah Zai Williams....For 2 MILLION DOLLARS" I whispered but yelled at the same time.

"Amare what is happening."

"Aniyah, let me take you on a drive."

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

We pulled up to my dad's church.

"Why are we here?" Honestly I wanted to avoid this place for a while.

"This is what's yours...." he stated with a smile on his face.

"The church?.... Is mine"

He nodded.

"This is my fathers church, which I now assume is my mom's, it isn't mine Amare. I haven't been here in years, and this doesn't explain the 2 million dollar check."

"I'm just going to tell you plainly, your dad is giving the church to you. When he got his diagnosis from the doctor, he made sure to write it in his will. You weren't supposed to find out till the family meeting where we will read the will, but I thought that would be brutal and a bit traumatic for you. I knew your father personally and I knew you as a kid, well i saw you from time to time, but I didn't want to bombard you with-" he trailed off. I honestly blanked out.

The church is mine? I am the least qualified person to own a church. What was my dad thinking. Why does Amare know this before I did in the first place.

"So yeah, the check is to take care of the church and start you off, you're going to need it. Your dad promised many renovations to our members, the elders can be a bit demanding-"

"Amare, I NEVER AGREED TO THIS." I shouted at him, I regretted it as soon as it came out but what did he expect.

My career and life is 'Design Central', not owning some church. I don't know the first thing about this. He should have asked Salome not me!

"Listen Aniyah," he grabbed my hand, "I know you're scared but your dad made this clear to me, the Lord told him many years ago that this church is your purpose."

There goes that word again...Purpose.

We sat in silence. He still held my hand.

"Your dad wanted this okay? No one is forcing you to do anything but he gave you his life's work to continue, this is God's will and we have to let that be done."

He let go of my hand put the car in drive and we drove off. We sat in silence as I realized what just happened.

I'm the owner of "New Hope Christian Center"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Word Count-1497

*Hi guys, thank you for reading so far. This story will continue with some topics that have to do with wills and legal issues, that I have NO IDEA about. So let's all remember that this is a fictional book but I will try my best to research and get the story to be as accurate as possible.*

Like and comment

Btw- you pronounce Amare name as "Uh-Mar-"