Of the Blood

Once the sunlight goes to bed, that's when darkness wakes the dead.

It's a gray and unforgiving winter in nineteenth-century New England, and sixteen-year-old Faith Alexander is struggling.

In spite of her grief, she's managing her schoolwork, helping run the family farm, and fulfilling her mother's dying wish to care for her father and younger brother. But as a series of grisly deaths lead the townspeople to believe the newly departed are rising from their graves to feast on the blood of the living, Faith's world becomes increasingly dangerous.

When a sinister newcomer arrives in South Harbor, Faith suspects he's connected to the macabre mystery tearing apart her Connecticut town. Yet it's the disappearance of someone close to her that forces her into action, only to discover that in order to uncover the truth and save her family, she must face her past and risk becoming Undead herself.

 Yet it's the disappearance of someone close to her that forces her into action, only to discover that in order to uncover the truth and save her family, she must face her past and risk becoming Undead herself

Welcome to Of the Blood, a young adult gothic horror set in the late 1800s! It is now marked complete.

What's so special about Of the Blood? It's a story that's wormed it's way under my skin, with a protagonist named Faith who appeared to me like a ghost in the middle of the night. TRUE STORY! She stood at the foot of my bed, staring at me. She was taller than I imagined, but just as intriguing, with her long braids, and 19th-century dress. Probably some weird half-conscious dream, but it's an experience I'll never forget, and I can't wait for you to meet her!

If you would like to support this story, I ask that you please add it to your public reading list. This is my first attempt at a historical, and I'm hoping readers are able to find it.

I'm also using a new AI art program called MidJourney to add media to the bottom of each chapter. I hope it helps bring the story to life. It's still in beta so the images aren't perfect, but it's a fun way to imagine the characters and scenes!

As always, thank you for your friendship and reads—you're all amazing! 🧡

Trigger warning: this story is heavy and contains scenes of death (including that of children), and intermittent gore.

Of the Blood (available only on Wattpad)
Copyright © 2023 Darly Jamison/Monrosey
All Rights Reserved.

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. If you are reading this story anywhere other than W A T T P A D, the site you're on has stolen it from me and you are at risk of a malware attack. Please notify the author or submit a ticket to Wattpad. Thank you for helping to protect my work!

 Thank you for helping to protect my work!