Going Against Biology

Biology. The tree of life. Chemistry, physics, genetics . . . Science.

All of it is law in the Ikari household. To go against science, especially biology, was to go against everything mankind knows and believes in. It was going against the "God of the natural world" - or so Shinji's father said.

As a geneticist currently researching ways for humans to better adapt to mental illness, Gendou Ikari tolerates nothing that talks against science. This includes wishful thinking, fairy tales, and progressive ideas.

So naturally, these opinions were imprinted onto Shinji. But this was a problem. It gave him tunnel vision. It made him lose what little hope he had in his future. All he could wish for - no, that's outlawed. All he could dream for - no, that too . . .

All he could do was think about a way to feel better.

"Shinji! Get your ass out of bed!"

Shinji stirred, mumbling something about no and 5 more minutes. The door flung open, causing Shinji to jump up, heart pounding, still half-asleep. A red-headed girl in a blue and white school uniform stood in the doorway, her fists clenched. His usual fight or flight upon seeing Asuka coming towards him at an alarming speed woke up his brain and he flew into an upright defensive position. "Wait, wait-" Shinji gasped, covering his face as Asuka rose her open hand to strike him.

"I'm only joking," Asuka giggled as she dropped her hand to her side. "At least you're awake now."

Shinji rubbed his eyes, stifling a yawn. "What's the rush? Are we going to be late or something..? What time is it..?"

Asuka rolled her eyes. "Up and at it, Shinji... The transfer student is coming today! I heard from some of the other girls that he's handsome," she blushed and began fixing her nails and hair in the small mirror hung on Shinji's wall. "and I want to look my best for him."

She turned and glared at Shinji. "I do not need you to ruin this for me, so you're going to get ready -" she tugged off the sheets - "and look GOOD!" she grabbed his arm and threw him into the bathroom.

Shinji sighed, sprawled over the bathtub, his ankle beginning to hurt. Asuka threw in his uniform where it landed on the small countertop. He stood up, closed the door, and looked at himself in the steamed up mirror, rubbing a spot with his hand to clear the mist.

His hair was as it usually was. Brown, flat, and a little messy. He brushed his hand over his bangs, trying to fix the cowlicks that brought the hair smack into his eyeballs.

Who am I kidding, Shinji thought to himself. Who would I be showing off for, anyway... Shinji stopped fussing with his hair and instead splashed his face with cold water.

He looked himself in the eyes. His reflection stared back, looking sickly and weird. Droplets fell from the tips of his hair. He flattened his eyelids and began to think...

I just have to get through this week.

And the next.

And the next...

And the -

Asuka knocked loudly on the door. "Shinji! Hurry up!"

"Got it," he replied, snapping out of his trance and toweling off his face.

The walk to school was uneventful. A hint of fall was beginning to enter the air, the morning crispness accentuated by the chill. Dew budded on the grass, and the river bubbled next to the path. The sun had just begun to rise, showering the clouds with specks of yellow and pink.