6. Dating Complex

Start from the beginning

"Maybe. I'm not sure."

He took a big gulp of his beer. "Do you like him?"

"Of course." I frowned at him. "I've been seeing him for a while. How could I not like him?"

"But not enough to be his girlfriend exclusively, right?"

I swiveled on my barstool to give him my full attention. "Being in a relationship takes more than just liking someone or having sex with someone. Much more than that. And I don't think I have anything left in me for that." I tilted my head. "And what is it? Why are you interviewing me all of a sudden?"

Bim dropped his head and sighed. "I think I'm in Noah's situation now. I'm screwed." He then pressed his forehead against the bar counter.

"Huh? Come again?" I leaned forward and pushed his shoulder to urge him to sit straight again. "Who are you talking about? Is it about Lily?"

Still with his face down on the counter, he shook his head.

"Brandy?"

He shook his head again.

"Tamara?"

He groaned at the last name.

"Oh my god, oh my god. You and Tamara?" I almost squealed. "I didn't see it coming. How long have you guys been seeing each other?"

"Months. Since February this year."

I smacked his shoulder a bit too hard, prompting him to sit straight up while stroking his shoulder while wincing. "How could you just tell me now?"

"I wanted to tell you earlier but I couldn't. I promised her that we would do this without people, especially you and the boys, eyeing us like hawks. She just wanted to see first where it would bring us, with no pressure," he said, still stroking his shoulder. "I like her, Jen, a lot. And I don't want to ruin this."

"Okay. I hear you. I lived in secrecy for a while too. Still," I said as I smacked him again, "you could have at least hinted to us."

"Ouch."

"Is she ready to go public now?"

"Not really. She still doesn't know what she wants. She said she liked me a lot too, but she's still not ready for the girlfriend title. I don't know what to do. I think I'm going crazy."

"Hey." I reached out and rubbed the arm I just smacked. "I know what I'm going to say is boring as fuck, but if she's for you, she won't go anywhere. And if she's not, it's better to let it go now instead of postponing the inevitable."

"What do I do now?"

"If you still think you have a chance with her, wait until she figures out what she wants. Remember, she's not me. She hasn't set her mind about not wanting to be in a relationship at all."

"How long should I wait?"

"You will know when you should stop." I squeezed his shoulder softly before letting it go. "Been there, and done that. When it's enough, it's enough."

Bim opened his mouth to say more, but he shifted his eyes to my side and closed his mouth. It was when a hand sneaked around my waist, and warm lips kissed my cheek.

I smiled as I tilted my head to give Noah full access. "There you are."

"Hey. I'm sorry for being so late," he said, glancing at Bim. "Hi, Bim. What's up?"

"Hi, man. Just chilling. What a Friday evening, huh?"

"Tell me about it." Since the rest of the seats on the bar counters were occupied, Noah stood next to me while keeping his hand on my back. When the bartender raised an eyebrow at him, he said, "Can I have coke, please?"