"Mom..."

"This is not something to hide from doctors. If you don't say it, I will get your dad to ask Lisa instead."

"Don't! Mom... Don't go."

When had the restrained and courteous Jennie ever faced such a situation before?

However, the person pressing her with questions had to be someone who she could not dismiss.

Darkness flashed before Jennie's eyes when she heard her mother say that she was going to get her father to ask Lisa.

Lisa was a woman, how should she take such a question from a man?

"So, won't you say it already?" Ruby looked completely serious as if she was going to get to the very bottom of this.

Thoroughly red in the face, Jennie cast her gaze down. 

There was a shimmer to her eyes as she gave an almost inaudible answer, "Husband, he... can."

Ruby let out a breath. 

She scooted closer to Jennie, then she asked quietly, "How often do you two usually do it?"

"...This daughter does not take charge in this matter. It's all up to husband."

"That's true. Let mom tell you..."

***

LISA

"How are you going back?" I asked.

Jackson and I walked out of the tavern with their arms over each other's shoulders.

"I live nearby, so I can just walk back home. What about you? Should I call a horse carriage for you?"

"There's no need for that, it'll just make me nauseous. I came here on a horse, so I can just ride back home. The wind will wake me up too."

"Alright, then let's part ways here."

"Goodbye."

I watched him go far, then got onto my horse. 

With a tug on the reins, I leisurely made my way towards the estate.

Once I reached a secluded alley, my horse made a sudden snort.

I was startled for a moment.

I raised my head for a proper look; the alley looked a little strange today.

Why were there no lanterns lit during the new year?

It was pitch-black out here.

Looking at the dark alley in front of me, I couldn't help but recall what happened at Chongshan ridge. 

My heart shuddered a little.

But it was already so late, and I had to go through this alley in order to reach the estate.

The other major roads were not just far; there were patrol officers at this hour too.

They would ask me customary questions such as where I had been, and who I was with...

After some consideration, I decided against taking the longer path.

I'm in a city now, and this is a residential area. 

No bandit would be that crazy, right?

"Go." 

I sat up straight and pulled on the reins, urging my horse onward.

My horse snorted reluctantly, but it still went forward as its master commanded.

Like a sharp scimitar, the waning crescent moon sliced into the night sky.

It was as if an opening was torn from the darkness, yet no rays of light shone through it.

The city was not as cold as the capital city, but the night wind was still chilling to the bone.

I tightened my winter coat a little, but at that moment, I sensed a strong and unusual gust of wind swipe past my forehead!

I shuddered, and my horse gave a long whinny too.

I struck the reins and smacked my palm on the horse's behind. 

My horse sped up, and it ran out of that pitch-black alley in just a few moments.

I let out a breath.

I was just being too sensitive.

I started to feel more and more drowsy; I marvelled at the kicker of this wine as I quickened my pace again.

I got down my horse once I was a bowshot away from the estate, but a sudden wave of dizziness washed over me.

I held onto the saddle for a good while, then shook my head and finally recovered some clarity.

I pushed myself to make it back to the estate, then held onto a house servant's shoulder for support as I said, "I'll trouble you to help me back inside."

"Understood, young master."

My vision started to blur, and my hearing seemed to become dull too. 

My legs felt weak and drifty. 

I realized that something was wrong; these weren't signs of intoxication.

Could the two brothers poisoned me?

I gritted my teeth as I summoned the desperate energy I had during my training in the island; I forced myself to maintain the last of my consciousness.

I finally reached the small courtyard, but my vision was now a complete blur. 

I could only vaguely see some warm orange colors.

Jennie is waiting for me.

I could not remember how I returned to the bedroom, but I seemed to have seen Jennie. 

I seemed to be caught in a warm embrace, and I can hear Jennie's terrified calls, and then... 

I wasn't aware of anything anymore.

=========================