𝑰𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒅𝒖𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 - 𝑩𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝑨𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝑾𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅

We all know how horrifying the Night of Chaos was. That seemingly unending and unforgettable night was marked by the dreadful Bloodbath of Nightless city, the former residence of the Qishan Wen Clan. Amid the sanguinary battle between the Four Great Clans and the fierce Corpses summoned by no other than Wei Wuxian himself, the young Yiling Patriarch found himself in the middle of a trance. His surroundings seemed unclear and indistinct, and his thoughts were all over the place.

Had Wen Ning truly murdered his sister's husband, the father of her child, and of his nephew, Jin Zixuan? Had his sister truly died after being stabbed to death in her brother's stead? Had Wei Wuxian's loss of control led to all of this? To a corner where there was no turning back?

All he wanted was to save the innocent remnants of the Qishan Wen Clan. How did that sense of justice end up making him a dangerous threat to the World of cultivation as well as an enemy of the Four Great Clans, including his own former Yunmeng Jiang Clan? His own brother?

Despite Wei Wuxian's efforts to stop those Corpses from causing any more deaths, it was clear that he had completely lost control over them. It seems that Lan Wangji's warnings concerning his demonic Cultivation were right- if only he had listened and been more careful. It was too late for that now. The hand, which was holding the Chenqing, dropped hopelessly as he came to a certain conclusion. His life would never be the same again. The deaths he's provoked could not be undone. He would never see the reassuring smile of his sister again except in his dreams and memories that are now painful to remember. He would never be able to stand by his brother's side again now that he had ruined his own family. Wei Wuxian knew that the only thing he could do now was to disappear from this world. Nothing else could make up his sins, and nothing else could cure him from this grief and hopelessness.

In a fit of despair, the young man attempted to destroy the Yin Tiger Tally before heading towards the cliff, the sounds of the battle growing quieter in the background. At the end of the escarpment, Wei Wuxian turned around and watched as the sky slowly cleared up, a tear slowly and painfully rolling down his cheek. He closed his eyes and before he knew it, his body was already falling backward. He could soon feel gravity give up on him until, suddenly, a desperate hand grabbed onto his. His watery eyes looked up in shock at the familiar face of his former classmate Lan Wangji, whose expression didn't reveal any less pain and suffering than Wei Wuxian's. He had never seen so many emotions coming from that man before, and he could tell by Wangji's firm grip that he did not want to let go- he did not want to lose him. It was the first time today that Wuxian felt such relief and reassurance, and he knew that he was selfish for enjoying it. If someone wanted to save him, then at least it meant that he wasn't that evil in everyone's eyes. When his sworn brother Jiang Cheng suddenly came into the picture as well, Wuxian immediately noticed the difference in emotions between him and Lan Wangji. They had different intentions. Jiang Cheng's face revealed grief and hatred towards what he once considered to be his family- there was no way he'd ever forgive or try to save him. Not that Wei Wuxian expected to be forgiven anyways. It was too late for that.

"Wei Wuxian!" Jiang Cheng yelled, the tone of his voice and the look in his eyes revealing a hint of hesitation and pain. Regardless of that, he proceeded to swing his sword and strike the rock underneath him in an attempt of pushing the other off, causing Wei Wuxian to desperately let go of his savior's grip and fall down the cliff. At that moment, time stopped. Everything, including his fall, was moving slower as he kept his eyes on Lan Wangji's pained expression. He showed him a last but weak smile, giving in to his tragic destiny, and closed his eyes.

"WEI YING!"

Suddenly, Wei Wuxian's body disappeared out of sight when a blinding white Light abruptly emerged in front of him. It was so intense that Lan Wangji had no choice but to briefly shield his eyes with his arm before quickly looking back down again, his eyes desperately searching for Wei Wuxian.

Nevertheless, there was no longer Wei Wuxian. There was no longer the strange and mysterious source of light. Whatever happened at that moment was most likely the reason why Wei Wuxian's body - despite multiple people searching to find him- could not be found in the depths of that hellish hole he fell into. But whatever it was, Lan Wangji did not want to give up on him. Even if the rest of the world wanted to bury the memory of Yiling Patriarch, Lan Wangji would not cease searching for Wei Wuxian, the only man who had managed to break through Wangji's aloof personality, and who always stayed by his side no matter how much Wangji would push him away.

He had to find him, whether he was dead or alive.

___________________________

Date of publication : 16.12.2022

Picture : The Untamed (2019), Xiao Zhan as Wei Wuxian and Wang Yibo as Lan Wangji, edited with Photo blender app

Dear reader, I hope you enjoyed reading the first chapter of this story! Please let me know what you think so far since this is my ever first written fanfiction. I would appreciate some feedback! All the best