Chapter 37: Port Island

Start from the beginning

~...

Yu spent the train ride in a cabin with Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko. They had the cabin to themselves, so they talked freely of whatever came to mind. Yu would have preferred to sit with Rise, but she'd get in trouble if she snuck into the second years' car. Especially cause Kashiwagi was their chaperone teacher. That woman would take any excuse to punish Rise, if given the slightest opportunity.

After a long ride, they finally arrived in Port Island. The first stop was to head to the private school for their tour. For whatever reason, they weren't stopping at the hotel to check in first. So the school had to offer to hold their luggage for them at their administrative building.

The school was called Gekkoukan High. It seemed like a nice place- way bigger than Yasogami, but the visit itself was less interesting. The most memorable thing that happened was Yosuke trying, and failing, to flirt with the local student council president. (A girl he called a "bewitching bespectacled beauty." But this poor attempt at flirting merely got a good laugh out of the others when it didn't work out.) After the tour, they had to sit in on a lecture; to which both sets of students were assigned. The lecture wasn't as boring as they thought it'd be but it wasn't great either. The teacher merely told them the story of Izanagi and Izanami, the Gods who created Japan according to mythology. At least he kept it brief, since he said he figured most of them had heard it before.

~...

When they finished their tour of the school, it was already past sunset. Thus, it was time for them to go to the hotel at last. Kashiwagi and the other chaperones led them through a street that didn't look right for teenagers to be walking through. (And she ignored the question when someone asked about that very issue.) Finally, they reached a modern-looking hotel that... also didn't look right to them.

"Alrighty, here we are." Kashiwagi said, cheerfully. "The Seaside Clamshell Inn!"

Yu stared at the building in discomfort. "She's not serious, right..." He asked, quietly.

"We'll be staying here tonight." Kashiwagi said, ignoring the murmurs from the students about the place. "So, what do you think? It was me who found this place!"

"I think you should be fucking fired..." Yu thought, irritably.

"It just opened not too long ago," Kashiwagi continued, "It's got that modern look- and the price was right! Personally, I think it was an excellent choice. Let's head in." She walked on ahead, and the rest of the students reluctantly followed her. After a bit, it was only the six members of the Investigation Team who were left outside.

"Um..." Rise said, blushing, "This area is called Shirakawa Boulevard, and it's-"

"Not for teenagers?" Yu asked, bluntly.

"Yeah..." Rise said, sheepishly.

"Say no more, we don't wanna know," Yosuke said, his face turning pink too.

As they debated whether or not they could duck out of having to stay in such an uncomfortable location, they were shocked to hear a familiar voice call out for them. A voice they thought they left behind in Inaba hours ago...

To their utter shock, they watched as Teddie hopped down from a nearby rooftop and approached them casually as if his being here was totally normal. For whatever reason, he was also dressed in his bear suit.

"Teddie?! What are you doing here?!" Kanji shouted.

"The lonely bear inside of me went stir crazy!" Teddie answered.

"Ugh, if only I could detect people in the real world..." Rise whined.

"How did you get here?!" Chie asked, "Do you have some special ability?!"

Teddie shrugged. "Eh, I took the train. I swore off topsicles and saved up the money I got working at Junes. I knew where you were going thanks to Yosuke's trip guide. You guys have free time tomorrow, right? No use hiding it! I already know!"

"How in the world did you make it here looking like that?" Yosuke asked. "I mean- why wear the bear suit here?"

"I almost got thrown in the trash a couple times," Teddie admitted. "But I kept hanging onto the promise Chie-chan made to go on a date with me! That's what gave me the strength to carry on!"

"When did I promise that..." Chie asked.

"Yay! You remembered!" Teddie shouted, cheerfully. "Is it ok with Yuki-chan and Rise-chan too?!"

Seeing that Teddie was not about to let go of this apparent promise, if one was ever actually made, they chose to simply move on.

"Anyway," Rise said, "I've been here before, so I'll show you around tomorrow. I guess we can go shopping first. For souvenirs and stuff..."

"Ooo, shopping!" Teddie said, eagerly. "That sounds great!"

Yu looked down at the happy bear unsurely, scratching his head. "Well... I guess since you're here, we can't really tell ya to go home. Alright, you can bunk with me and Yosuke. But you gotta promise to behave, ok? This is a school trip, we can't get into any trouble. Can you do that?"

"Yes, sensei! I promise to be a good bear!" Teddie cried out happily, giving him a tight hug.

After a little debate on how to sneak Teddie inside, they settled on a plan and went in. Yosuke pretended to drag Teddie along with them like a stuffed souvenir. With him subtly walking with small steps to stay incognito. They rejoined the rest of the students in the lobby, just as the teachers started passing out room keys.

The gang watched in mild curiosity as Naoto straight up refused a room key from the first years' chaperone. He then walked up to the front desk and handed the manager an impressive wad of cash and asked for a private room. The manager, swayed by the generous amount, accepted the request without any hesitation, and handed over a key.

"Of course, sir, enjoy..."

"Thank you." Naoto replied, politely, looking pleased.

"Well, that's hardly fair..." Yosuke said, getting his attention, "What- you don't like sharing?"

"I like my privacy," Naoto said, simply. He turned and went to follow the other students up the stairs.

The trip had been a chore the whole day. Even the hotel wasn't an improvement. Hopefully, things would get better during their free time tomorrow. But for now, they were all ready to turn in for the night.

~End of Chapter