20th century boy . minho

Start from the beginning

Minho stops the recording, just as I reach one of the storage rooms and find my wallet. Thank goodness - my paycheck is in there!

"Got it, let's-" before I can finish, the lights of the departmental store go off.

I yelp and turn to Minho in surprise. We share a puzzled expression as we stand in the darkness, the faint whir of the heater which has just been turned-off stealing the silence. I notice that I have grabbed my co-worker's sleeve in shock, and bite my lip as I pull away from the physical touch.

I must be dreaming, but I see a faint blush creep up his cheeks, too.

"What happened?" He asks the obvious, starting for the power outlet on the 6th storey.

Peering at the escalators leading to the other floors, which have all stopped moving, realisation hits me.

"Did you tell anyone we were going back up?"

Minho stops, and a flicker of understanding passes across his expression. "Oh."

"They really locked us in here on New Year's Eve," I find our situation almost funny, as I glance at my watch and realise, it is 8pm. Staff working overtime have all gone home to spend the 'last moments' with their family, eyes sparkling at the extra bucks cashed.

But Minho has a peculiar glint in his eyes, and as he walks closer to me, I feel the seconds start to slow, the irrational, fierce beating in my chest being amplified a million times in this stupid echoey departmental store. I'm hyperaware, that we are alone in this 6-storey building with no way to get out til' morning, which means we're spending the night here. Together.

I hold my breath as Minho leans in, my imagination already running miles at top speed, but instead, he whispers gently in my ear, and I breathe out both a sigh of relief and mild disappointment (ok, y/n, get it together.)

"Since no one's here, let's do something wild."

~

[VHS recording no. 145 // 31 December, 1999]

Minho is carrying a box of items up the escalator to the 6th floor, and upon scrutinising, one can make out the shape of fun LED lights, pillows, stuffed animals and a polaroid camera. (Where did he even find one?) He places the box of trinkets down and takes the camera from Y/n, with his trademark smirk and eye smile.

~

[VHS recording no. 146 // 31 December 1999]

Cut to Y/n figuring out how to turn on some LED lights - one of them is a neon, planet-shaped light; and there are a few disco-themed balls, leftover Christmas lights from the season's retired decorations, and even light-up shoes. Shoes. Which Y/n has ditched her pumps for.

~

[VHS recording no. 147 // 31 December 1999]

Cut to the camera in a fixed position, as Minho carries a rickety CD player as Y/n brings a bunch of CDs from the music section to play. The pair abandons all semblance of their job as store staff and belt out to 'Dancing In The Moonlight', busting out moves in light-up shoes. At some point, Y/n figures out that the disco-themed lights can spin, and the store is illuminated with hues of red, yellow, blue, green, and physical touch doesn't seem awkward anymore in their self-professed disco party.