𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟔 - 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑰𝒏𝒏𝒌𝒆𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒓

When the old lady placed the food bowl on top of the table, Wei Wuxian unconsciously licked his lips in anticipation. Turns out that not even the food was that different in this world, considering how he could recognize most of the vegetables. Unfortunately, there were no Lotus Pier seeds.

He immediately grabbed the chopsticks and began eating as if his life depended on it, which was pretty much the case.

"I know you're hungry, but you should eat slower."

The Lady warned him as she pulled the chair back and sat across the table. She was curious about this young man, who in this day and age did not know how to distinguish between real and fake money. Was he perhaps an immigrant? That did not necessarily justify the weird-looking metal coins and the ancient robes he was wearing though.

Wei Wuxian simply nodded but did not slow down any bit. His stomach was in control. 

The lady let out a sigh and proceeded to pour him a cup of water. No matter how you'd look at it, the young man sitting across from her was at least in his early twenties.

"Where do you come from? I have never seen you wander around here before."

She asked, making him finally gaze back up at her with a slightly reluctant expression before swallowing whatever he was still chewing on. He then quickly wiped his mouth and awkwardly smiled, mentally figuring out what to answer. Once again, it is not like he could tell her the whole truth about his situation and origins. That would only make him come across as a madman- and being kicked out of the inn for the second time today is the last thing he needed.

"I...I don't remember... I woke up in the forest, but have no recollection of what happened beforehand."

"So you woke up wearing those clothes? Ayoo, just what did you do to end up in that state?" The lady shook her head as she handed him the cup of water, indirectly suggesting the use of vicious substances. She did unknowingly guess Wei Wuxian's great appreciation for liquor, but he was not in that kind of addiction case. 

"Here, drink something."

"Thank you, auntie" he answered with a smile before bringing the cup toward his lips and feeling the fresh liquid roll down his dry throat. The sip he took was enough to empty the cup in one go. He placed it back on top of the table and let out a long sigh of relief.

"I'm alright though." He answered as his smile shifted from the initially awkward to a more natural one. "At least I haven't forgotten about my identity. My Name is Wei Ying"

"Wei Ying, huh? It's nice to meet you." She calmly answered whilst pouring him another cup of water.

"Nice to meet you too!" he answered with a cheerful smile and slightly bowed his head in gratitude before taking another sip of his drink.

He then took the opportunity to gaze around a little and looked back at the innkeeper with a confused frown.

"Say...You said that your business was not going well...But it looks like a pretty good inn?"

"You mean a restaurant? But yes, the business has indeed been difficult lately. New restaurants opened across the street, so competition grew as well."

She explained with a small sigh.

"The meal that you prepared is delicious...how come you have no clients?" He asked with genuine curiosity, earning a smile on her part.

"Oh, Young man. If everyone thought like you, then I wouldn't have to consider shutting this place down."

Wei Wuxian gazed back down at his meal, feeling pity for the restaurant keeper. Although helping someone keep their business alive was not necessarily the most important thing considering his current situation, he could not help but think about it. Moreover, although he did earn those coins through hard work, the fact that she stayed and cooked him a meal after closing hours was quite meaningful.