Chapter 35 - Lead me away... or leave me lying here

"No."

"Fandrall, in Odin's name, let me pass!"

"No!"

Thor huffed at his friend's stubbornness. He could easily knock him out of the way, but with Rúna and Sif present, he didn't dare use any unnecessary force. Words would have to do. If the bloody fool would just listen!

"I mean only to give them a message from someone who wants to help them," tried Thor.

"He speaks the truth, Fandrall," aided Sif. "Thor risked his life to seek help for Sigyn and Loki. You must let him pass."

Thor shot her a grateful look. She hadn't been too happy at waking in the forest alone and had quite rightly given him the beating of a lifetime upon finding him at the stone circle. Yet after he spoke of his encounter with Freya and Brisi, Sif was the one to retrieve his horse and lead the way back to Asgard. Her loyalty truly was beyond measure. But that meant nothing to Fandrall right now.

"I expected more from you, Sif. You stood witness to our Lady's distress, and yet here you stand with the man responsible for it, wishing to add to her grief!"

The attack stung Thor, but he would not offer any comeback. He was responsible, after all.

"This is my last warning to both of you." Fandrall put a hand to the hilt of his sword, fastened at his hip. "Leave now."

Sif stepped forward, her face twisted in furore at having been threatened, but Thor hastily held her back. Though he desperately needed to speak with Sigyn and Loki, it wasn't worth causing discord among his friends. He would not be the reason they, too, fell apart. But then, the only person who yet had to speak came between them. Rúna faced Fandrall and placed her hand on top of his, keeping him from drawing the weapon.

"Please stay your hand," she said. "If Lord Thor truly has a way to help Lady Sigyn and Lord Loki, is it not our duty to, at the very least, inform them of this? They can decide for themselves if they wish to see him or not."

Fandrall pressed his lips into a thin line, his resolve wavering at her reasoning. He looked at Thor and Sif before letting his eyes settle on Rúna again. Sighing, he stepped aside to let the girl pass. Neither Thor nor Sif failed to notice the lingering touch and gaze between the pair.
Thor fell back as Rúna disappeared through the door of Sigyn and Loki's rooms. He waited anxiously, praying fervently that either of them would see him. Soon enough, Rúna returned. Her grave face dashed all hope of gaining entrance.

"They do not wish to see anyone," she said sadly. "I believe it is best if you leave, My Lord."

Thor clenched his fist. It would be easy to force his way in, but he did not wish to make matters worse. It was their decision, their right, even. He met Sif's eyes. She shook her head. Indeed. Best to walk away now.

"I will return tomorrow then."

"Thor, please... Enough," said Fandrall. "Leave them be."

How Thor wished it were that simple.

"Tomorrow," he concluded.

He turned and walked away, with Sif following closely behind him after shooting a glare at Fandrall. Their footsteps echoed through the corridor, but they could not drown out the hushed voices behind them as Rúna informed Fandrall that only she and he were allowed entrance, but no further than the private study. All meals were to be left on the doorstep. 
The sorrow that already held Thor's heart wrenched at him. This was even worse than what happened thirty years ago. Back then, Loki was the one to pull Sigyn from her darkness. But now, he, too, was lost in it. Thus, it fell to him. Thor had to speak with his brother and sister, one way or another.