Diary entry of when I went werewolf hunting

“The scariest thing after wolves, are wolves with hands.”

-12.45 am

I saw it!

They'll believe me now.

I saw the werewolf!

Dear Esther, you know I won't lie to you. I have evidence, Esther, I am coming home right away!

I am here safe in my log cabin, writing this letter for you, for if something happens to me.
If not, I will hand deliver this letter to you, my love. As you know, I am in these woods to confirm the myth.

And it is true.

The monster that has been the reason for a lot of deaths is a big werewolf. Honestly, while most of the deaths made me wary of the woods, it was the death of our friend Ol' Tyke that made me venture into these harrowed woods.

Oh what danger! For the first few hours, the woods around here were quite still, not a sound around.

I had set up multiple bear traps around here with a small helping of straw to hide them, as is my trademark. Nor do the animals suspect anything, and the straw is still unfamiliar enough for you to notice it and avoid the trap.
I set them up with a very helpful serve of pork from our dead infected pigs. And I sat inside, waiting for the thing to appear.

It was 11 something when the first signs of life appeared.

I dared not go out, nor open the door. The thing moved nearer to one of the traps where the biggest, juiciest piece of pork lay. I could not see well in the dark, and I felt it looked more like a bear.

So I let it be,

but true horror struck deep inside me, when the animal swiftly picked up the pork lightly off the trap. My heartbeat went up as I realised these traps were ineffective against this animalistic monstrosity.

It then picked up the porks off each trap like it had hands.

I clutched my shotgun as tightly as I could, and prayed that my aim would not fail me.

I pressed my back against the central log of the cabin, preparing for whatever direction the monster wanted to attack from.

As I regained my composure, it all fell apart,

when I noticed 2 large, glowing eyes stare me down from one window.

Teeth made of metal,
twitching nose, and
bloodthirsty eyes were just waiting like that.
Staring me down, feasting on my sanity first, so my flesh will be available to feast on.

It seems that no hole it makes by breaking down the door or windows will be large enough for it to get in. So, knowing, I am mostly safe here, I stared back, myself on the verge of a breakdown.

The thing continued to stare, and I promised myself to only make a move if the creature moves. Until then, my mouth was shut, and my eyes focused on its eyes.
It must have been an hour, it must've been longer.
I came to terms that this may be my last moments,
but atleast my death won't be in vain,
for at this moment it was confirmed that this creature can be nothing short of a werewolf.

A few moments later, I heard howling in the distance.
These were normal dogs, and the werewolf broke away from staring me down to run out into the woods,

and then,

I heard the petrifying howl that was the howl of a werewolf.

It was not loud, but it was enough to drain the life from anyone. And the life was drained out of me.

The howl was definitely going to be a long one, and so
I decided to open the door.
I went nearer, nearer, and nearer.
My shotgun trembled in my hands.
The weather was cloudy, and I could not see much.
However, what use is sight when you are surely crazy?
Crazy enough to walk straight into the mouth of Death itself?
Then, the clouds cleared up.
The moonlight illuminated the werewolf.

It was a staggering and tall thing.
It was taller than the cabin.
It was probably bigger than the cabin.
I felt like an ant in front of it, my little limbs twitching for salvation somehow.

And just as the werewolf finished howling,
my fingers got to work and shot the werewolf a 5 times.
Then, I ran,
at full speed back to my cabin.

I didn't care if the thing was alive,
dead,
was chasing me or not.
I got in the cabin, shut the door tight, and just held the shotgun tightly.

Midway, I realised the shotgun might be emptied out,
but lied to myself that there's still 20-30 rounds left to calm myself.

Of course it was an unbelievable joke,
but my scared arse believed that,
because that was optimistic to believe.
I waited, huddled up in a corner, waiting for my death to strike on the door.
I waited, and after a long time, it occurred to me that the danger has passed.

Oh the relief!
Oh my God!
Now, writing this, I am again experiencing every fright of the night, but this feeling of relief also!
It was so ecstatic, so, so, oh I can't find the words!

I opened the window so that I might shoot a warning shot.

The gun was really empty.

I was stunned, stunned silent at how I had managed to survive, by sheer luck.

I wasted no time in reloading the gun, and shot two warning shots, in exalted joy.

As I write this, Esther, you will know that if I die, atleast I died not surrounded by only agony,
but also a short period of drunken ecstasy,
of a lucky victory.