Their tendrils slip off of me as the sun finally meets my dirtied cloak, brushing away the darkness and replacing it with light as I trek down the hill that led to the village.

Of course at this time of day, townsfolk busied the streets—trotting about with their own duties to fulfill before nightfall and not even bothering to spare me a glance.

This village wasn't really on the poorer end, the only thing really missing being that no walls surrounded the place—caging the people in.

Well, I guess with the forests rimming one end of the town, they do have some kind of wall? No one would be traversing out of those trees any time soon.

I wanted to chuckle at the thought.

Well, no one besides me.

With a brief side step, I avoid a few children as they bolt past—hurrying through the busy streets with giggles dancing through their playful bodies.

A slight smile moves it's way across my features, hidden from any wandering eyes as I venture on—soon breaking free of the crowds and finding my way to the large oak tavern.

"Alright buddy, time to feed some hungry fellas." I mutter to the heavy buck slung over my shoulder—moving to follow the small group of older men dispersing into the lantern-lit tavern.

With a thankful nod towards the man who held the door open for me, I turn and pass through the tables set throughout the place—being sure not to disturb any of the chattering people seated about.

Contrast to the deathly silent forest—this place is filled to the brim with all kinds of voices and when I stop near the side of the bar, I briefly catch the eyes of an elf sitting on one of the stools.

Lifting the tankard to his lips, he throws his head back—gulping down the last of his drink before setting it down on the table and raising his free hand, silently signaling for another.

The woman opposite of us glances up from one of the patrons on the far end of the room—grabbing a pitcher and filling it before finally trotting over to us.

"Here you go, sorry for the wait." She starts while pouring the elf's drink and letting her dark eyes glance at me—her usual monotone voice cutting through the banter passing through the cabin.

"Thank ya' ma'am." The pointed eared man smiles, finally taking his eyes off of me to raise his tankard in gratitude.

Glancing over the large mass slung onto my back, her dark purple hair is momentarily brushed away from her eyes—flickering her gaze to the right and signaling me to come on to the back.

I nod, walking through the side door attached to the bar and making my way into the back.

In this area, there is only a few people—briefly glancing my way before shifting to the side and out of my way.

I sling the buck from my shoulder and rid my back from the heavy weight, a huff seething through my nose when relief finally flushes across my shoulders.

"Looks like a big one today," The same dark eyed barkeeper comments as she walks up behind me.

"Thanks Jirou," I smile when she passes by, now pulling back the blanket and inspecting the carcass "Sorry I couldn't get any others, the Arz wasn't feeling generous today." I chuckle dejectedly.

"Arz and generous do not belong in the same sentence together." She claims with the shake of her head, letting me watch her back as she tosses the blanket back over the dead creature.

"And on the same note, when is the Arz ever generous?" She continues—now turning to fully face me with a joking tone in her words and an arch in her dark brow.

I shrug, returning her small smile with my own "For starters, it's holds the animals your people need to eat." I defend playfully.

"True, but behind walls of trees that'll swallow anyone whole." Jirou shoots right back and I roll my eyes as she approaches my taller being "Not everyone." I say lowly and from the corner of my vision, I see her come to a stop at my side.

Then I feel a hand on my shoulder—causing my head to turn slightly as Jirou leans in "I'll be sure to only take some tonight and store the rest to be dispersed tomorrow." She informs with a hushed voice.

"Thank you." I reply finally before she releases my shoulder and trots off—leaving me to take one last glance at the buck while the people get to work on preparing it.

I turn away to follow Jirou out into the noisy tavern—the muffled voice becoming clear again as we step out into the lantern light of the place.

"If you want, you can go and head up to bed for the night." She offers and with another shrug of my shoulders, I glance out a nearby window.

"I think I'll go for a stroll, not really feeling worn out yet." I explain briefly—catching her gaze as she moves over to refill another patrons tankard.

The stone Goliath stares at my hooded figure, tilting his head up in a short nod of respect towards me "Good evening, Sean." I greet, watching as he briefly takes a swig of his now full tankard.

"Be alert, fair hunter." He comments, voice filled with gravel and adding a groggy tinge to his accent.

"Why?" I blink at his words—watching as he eyes the liquid inside his cup "I heard they're sending people out to find ya', since you're the only one who can traverse through these forsaken woods." He grunts as if even bringing up the forest had left a foul taste on his tongue.

"What?" I breathe, stepping in his direction while he leans an elbow on the bar "Who would—" And then he lurches forward as a cough jumps from his throat—causing me to jolt from the sudden action.

While he'a too busy having his coughing fit, I take the time to step back."Uh, have a good night, then.." I mutter awkwardly—now making my escape from the interaction.

It doesn't take long for me to make my way around the bar—choosing to continue my depart rather than listen to the drunk Goliath.

And as I hear him call for another fill, I know he didn't mind either or just forgot about the small conversation altogether.

Sean is a regular here and I was still growing used to his.. Odd, bashful way of thinking. Though, I'd say almost all stone Goliath's leave you like that.

But that doesn't stop the chill from running up my spine and no matter how much I try brushing his usually meaningless banter aside—something felt.. Off about that subject.

The dirt crunches beneath my shoes as I trot along the paths of the dimly lit town. The silence allows my mind to wonder with my feet as I trek further and step beneath another lantern strung up for light.

Despite the moon turning the horizon a deep purple color, the air around me is warm 'I'm just looking too hard into it.' I internally grumble, brows furrowing as a sigh escapes my lips.

I needed to clear my head and the cooled air from the Arz sounded like it'd do the trick, so I set off and made my way out of town.

It really wasn't a far walk and when the lantern lights fall away, I am left with the moonlight to guide my sight as I make my way back up the hill that leads towards those forbidden woods.

Stopping and turning once I meet the line caging their shadows in—the trees branches almost look like they're reaching out for me, beckoning me to move closer and bask in the darkness it holds.

I continue to walk along the tree line, not daring to listen to the little voice telling me to step inside—just for a moment, a second at best.

I breathe a chuckle "Not today."