Chapter 11:The Threat

Start from the beginning

"Have you heard from Gabinski?" Alphonse interjected.

"Nope, we haven't heard a word from him yet." said Wendale. "He must be in the capital, trading goods."

"I thought he'd be writing to you." said Zhoya.

"I just want to make sure that he wasn't caught or left, he still owe us half a million." said Alphonse grimly.

"What if we go in the capital?" Wendale suggested enthusiastically. "We could go check on him and I heard there would be an upcoming fete."

Alphonse thought about it carefully. After a minute or so, he made up his mind.

"Fine, we're going at the capital."

The three found themselves inside a carriage and headed to Redlevard. Wendale pops out his head outside the window to feel the summer breeze and enjoy the view.

Alphonse was looking at the map of Redlevard.

"Where do you say the Magic Wielders live?" he asked Zhoya.

"Kingshill Palace." Zhoya answered.

"It's not on the map."

"Because they want the location to stay hidden." Zhoya explained. "They don't want to be found, obviously."

Alphonse rolled the map and stuffed it inside his coat. If he's just in West Eritrea, finding something is a piece of cake. He could just ask his informants. But he's at the east and his crew are the only people he have.

It took them an hour or two until they reached the capital. Wendale and Zhoya gaped at the paradise-like place. The lavishness of the life here was beyond they expected. Just by looking at the people, they can deduced that most of the capital's population was from the higher class - the aristocrats.

They passed by historical places and monuments as the carriage went on. They had a glimpse of the domes of the Grand Palace and passed by the prestigious academy of Eritrea. Monument of the late king stood at the center of the plaza, people bow in front of it as though it was a saint.

The carriage arrived in front of an average two-story inn where the three will be staying. They threw a bag of qirsh at the coachman as soon as they got out the carriage.

They entered the establishment and looked around. There are people sitting in a round table, drinking and gambling.

"Still got a room for one?" said Wendale as soon as he approached a group of gamblers. He sat with them and took money from his coat.

Alphonse handed the briefcase he's been carrying throughout their journey to Zhoya.

"Keep it and take three rooms for us." he instructed her.

"Where are you going?" Zhoya asked.

"To the market, I'm going to look for Gabinski."

Zhoya took the briefcase without further question and watch Alphonse left the establishment.

Following the map's direction, Alphonse headed at the biggest market in the kingdom. The market was full of different stalls, selling varieties of things imaginable. He didn't bother looking at several shops since he's not there to buy. He look at each shopper's faces as he went deeper to the market. While looking for Gabinski, Alphonse saw a familiar figure in the midst of the crowd.

"Novicoff."

Novicoff and his men took a turn in an alley. Curious, Alphonse followed quietly. The alley was dim and deserted. It's a perfect place for illegal transactions. And that's exactly what Novicoff was doing.

"How much for this?" he asked the man he's transacting with.

Novicoff was looking at a gun. The man chuckled.

"A gun has no use for a witch. If you use this, you'll render them defenseless."

The man handed him something that Alphonse couldn't see. Alphonse was enlightened about what's his old rival was up to. He was sent here to go after someone - to kill them. And it happened to be a Magic Wielder. At that same moment, Alphonse remembered what Vissarion said about Wisteria.

'She's a witch'

Alphonse don't want to believe it. Wisteria loathed magic her entire life.

But why would the east Eritreans took her, his inner self spoke to him. He tried to shrugged this thought off him.

If Vissarion will sent someone to go after Wisteria, that would be because she's the only witness who saw what really happened at the military settlement. And he's not even certain that it's her that Novicoff was after.

Alphonse keep on convincing himself while he's headed back to the inn. He looked rather surlier than before.

"Wendale." he called upon him and gestured him to follow.

"Yes, boss?" asked Wendale as soon as he approached Alphonse at the corner.

"I need you to make friends and find out the location of Kingshill Palace." He handed him a bag of qirsh. Wendale smirked.

"I got you, boss!"

Alphonse met Zhoya's eyes while she's at the liquor counter. She looked at him as though she understand that something was off.