PROLOGUE

Eight murders in a span of three years. It was the Eighth one when the Mumbai Police officer, SP Devika Luthra found an undeniable connection. Her team members crossed checked again if similar murders had happened after 2009. The answer was no. A few construction workers had spotted the eighth dead body, with a crushed head early in the morning. Little they did know that it was just the beginning.

The Stoneman Murders started first in June 1993 in Mumbai, and continued till mid 1998 for a period of five years but it was never established whether the crimes were committed by one person or a group of individuals.

A similar set of murders started in 1999 in Calcutta and continued for about two years. Police failed to resolve whether any of the crimes were committed as a copycat crime.

Three similar incidents were reported again in Mumbai during February 2009 and this had again alerted the police, especially because the third person who died was a popular and controversial TV serial actress.

While the initial cases of the Stoneman Murders in Mumbai targetted homeless ragpickers and beggars whose head was crushed with a single big stone weighing as much as 30 kg, the pattern changed later on. The Calcutta Murders had a different set of victims, often random people, but the method was the same.

Because the murderer killed victims by dropping a heavy stone or concrete slab, the police assumed that the assailant was probably a tall, well-built male. However, in the absence of any eyewitness, no confirmed physical description of the killer was available until a restaurant owner finally gave a clue.

A rough sketch was made and Mumbai police were deployed into various parts of the city, and numerous arrests were made. After a spell of arrests in which a handful of "suspicious persons" were detained for questioning, the killings stopped. However, citing a lack of evidence, the suspects were released into the public but Mumbai police was still determined.

Finally, on March 17th, 2009 the killer was finally comprehended when he had tried to attack the restaurant owner who had helped the Police. He was shot dead in a baffle with police when ACP Devika Luthra, the officer-in-charge of the case had to take the extreme steps to save the eyewitness.

And this marked the end of the Stoneman murders.

No similar murders happened after that.

And now they have started AGAIN.

In the same city where they had originally started, MUMBAI.