New Captain's First Day

I skipped into work with a big smile on my face. Stopping just inside the bullpen, I looked around at my fellow detectives as they grumbled and groaned about how it was too early and they hadn't had enough sleep. I quickly made my way around, hugging everyone, my way of greeting them, and kissing Scully's cheek when he offered it to me.

"Good mornin', y'all!" I sang as I placed the bottle of water I'd brought with me on my desk, which stood across from Gina's.

"It is a good morning," Santiago responded, somewhat defensively, after I received some defeated grumbles. "Our new Captain is arriving today, and I, for one, am super excited to meet him." She straightened in her seat, leaning back as though she had accomplished something and could finally relax.

"I'm not!" Jake yelled, his hand thrust in the air as he plopped down into the interview seat at the end of Amy's desk. Everyone began to gather, except for Scully, who continued working, and Hitchcock, who simply listened from his desk. "He's just gonna be another rule following robot," he scoffed. "Is that really so exciting?"

"Yes!" Amy cried in response. Terry nodded as well as he made his way around the crowd to where I stood, leaned against my own desk, and took up the spot beside me.

"Yeah, remember what happened to Tessa last time we had what you would call a," Terry's hands came up, and he bunny-eared the words, "fun Captain," before lowering them again. "It's always better when everyone follows the rules."

I winced, we'd had a Captain not so terribly long ago who hadn't been one for following or implementing rules. He was rather touchy with me, and after Terry had found out, he and the others had banded together to force the man out. I was the youngest on the team, and they were stupidly overprotective of me, but it worked out for me on that occasion.

"Sure, sorry," Peralta made sure he said the apology directly to me, brown eyes clashing with my baby blues, then, with a quick nod and one from me in return, the serious topic was passed by in favour of something else. "But," he looked around from his seat to see how many people were still listening. "I bet this guy really is a robot."

Peralta brought his arms up and began to make stunted movements in the imitation of a robot. He was saying something too, but I became distracted by the opening of the elevator doors behind him and the oddly silent approach of the new Captain.

"Jake," I hissed. He couldn't hear me, "Jake," I looked around and noticed the smirks. Of course, the others were going to let him get caught. As the Captain entered through the gate to the pen, I leapt off the table.

Without a thought or anything really in my head, I ran to the Captain and wrapped my arms around him. My head rested just below his heart, and I stayed there, my eyes closed, as I greeted him.

I could see what it looked like in my mind's eye. Me. A shorter than average white woman, wearing a white shirt with black skinny jeans, black boots, and black suspenders, with a black tie to finish the outfit. Long brown hair pulled up into a loose bun, falling out to curl around my ears and frame my face. Clutching him. A hugely tall black man wearing a Captain's uniform. It was rather funny. In fact, it would be hilarious if only I wasn't sure I'd be scolded for hugging the man.

A heavy hand came down to rest on my shoulder, I fully expected to be shoved away, but, to my surprise, he patted my shoulder twice before gently easing me off him.

I opened my eyes and looked up at his face with a wide smile. His expression was stony, stern, disapproving even, but his eyes were a different story. They were bright, despite his expression.

"Welcome to the nine-nine, Captain, sir." I stepped back to salute him smartly, "and good mornin'." I turned my head, a lock of hair falling across my vision, I huffed out a breath hoping to shift it but I was left to watch as it fell back in my face with a sigh. "Sarge," I called the much larger man over. "Come meet the new leadership."