Midnight Rain

[Inspired by Taylor]

My most awaited day has come. It's the first opening of my museum in France, Italy, after years of planning and dedicating half of my life to it. I texted my parents early in the morning to remind them it was today. They're old and the kind of oldies who always forget the dates. I don't want them to miss this, especially since they are the main highlight of this event. They are one of my inspirations to pursue what I need and want in life. So, I want everybody to meet my beautiful parents.

We have been open since three hours ago, and I can't still believe a lot of people are here to see my paintings. I feel like dreaming while watching them being astonished. Some even took a picture with me and asked for my signature. I also got bouquets, chocolates, and luxury gifts from my guests. I can't thank them enough for giving me the time to celebrate this milestone. Seeing their warm smiles and eyes with interest makes me want to shout, 'I made it!'.

While getting a drink, I accidentally place my eyes on a man checking one of my oldest paintings. I can't see his face since he's facing the other way. He's wearing a long brown coat and black jeans with Arino's on. His style is somewhat familiar, but I don't have time to think about who's who. I am about to ignore him when I suddenly see the bracelet on his left arm. It is the bracelet I made six years ago during our beach trip.

"No way," I murmur under my breath before placing the glass of wine somewhere.

Without hesitation, I immediately walk to him, smiling from ear to ear as if there's no tomorrow. Once I almost reach him, I stop. My excitement gradually fades away. Flashbacks become vivid, which makes me overthink what to do next. I can smell an unknown scent of perfume coming from him. I bite my lower lip and prepare myself for the conversation. It has been years since we saw each other, and it might be awkward for us to talk about our lives. Or is it just me?

I slowly open my mouth to call his name, but he precedes me.

"I've been waiting for you to call me, Christine," he says in a typical voice, deep and steady. I get goosebumps after hearing it. It's like a deja vu feeling. "Come stand beside me," he adds without looking at me.

I make a fake chuckle. "How did you know?"

"You haven't changed your perfume," he answers, which makes me stunned for a moment.

"Right. I haven't found a perfume better than it," I respond, almost in a whisper.

And no one speaks after it. He remains silent while I step into the space beside him. After settling, I turn right to look at him, and he does too. We meet each other's eyes before laughing our hearts out. I can't explain how happy I am to be beside him after such a long time. His laughs are still music to my ear. It may seem ordinary as if nothing's new, but I know everything about him has changed.

"How are you?" he asks suddenly, staring directly into my eyes.

I stop laughing and give him a genuine smile. "Fine. How 'bout you?"