Autumn Soulmates

Six years ago I received a letter from my soulmate. I was twelve then. Now I'm turning eighteen and these butterflies in my stomach won't go away. Today I'd have to follow the clues left just to find my soulmate by midnight or I'd never be able to find them again. The pressure was high as my parents had met within a matter of minutes. I didn't want to admit it, but I was terrified as to who my soulmate could be.

The clock read that it was a quarter to noon. I stood up, my stomach now in knots, to find something decently cute to wear. I've been through my closet at least a thousand times before I found the perfect outfit that complimented my almond skin perfectly. I pulled my ice-blond hair back into a high ponytail while I applied the perfect amount of natural makeup.

I let my hair down and began to slightly wave it. Once I was finished, I dressed in my new white long-sleeved sweater with an opening across my chest. I then pulled on my dark blue skinny jeans with a few rips on each pant leg. I grabbed my light brown knee-high boots and slid them on over my pink fuzzy socks. Once dressed, I went back into the bathroom and put on my golden heart necklace my soulmate had sent last year. I looked at myself and I felt ready.

As quickly as I could, I grabbed my leather brown purse, shoved my black sketchbook and the paper with the clues into my bag, and went out the door. I turned back around realizing I had forgotten my phone and earbuds. I made sure I had everything and walked out the door with calming classical music playing in my ears.

I read the clues several times:

A place where couples go in the fall

The sunsets there are beautiful

The perfect date with a hay ride

The place you go when you want to bake a specific pie

The air smells fresh and sweet

Entry is free

I had a pretty good idea as to where this could possibly be, but I wasn't completely sure. I typed in the address and began my walk to the pumpkin patch to look around. The walk was peaceful enough, children were running around, enjoying the cool autumn breeze.

Once I had gotten to the pumpkin patch, I asked the round man if anyone was there waiting for their soulmate. He shook his head. "Sorry, little lady," he said in a gruff voice, "but you can take a look around if you'd like." I smiled and thanked him then began my exploration of the fields. I soon realized that everyone here was accompanied by a date and a child. Not the right place . . .

One place down and two to go. It was now nearing three. If I didn't hurry, I may never find the love of my life. I typed in the address to my next destination: Cozy Cottage Coffee Shop. This was my favorite place in town; it's where I met my best friend. I walked in at 3:30 P.M. and asked the tall, brown-haired boy if anyone had been there looking for their soulmate. "I don't think so, but I can make an announcement and see if you'd like." His voice was deep, yet soothing. I nodded, "please do." He made the announcement and not one person stood. With a sigh, I thanked the worker and left, my heart now heavy with doubt.

It was now four in the afternoon. I typed in the last address. The place was nearly an hour away by car. How could I possibly get there on time? I dialed my mother's number and let it ring. No answer, as always. I tried my dad and answered. "Dad, are you off work yet?" There was a long moment of silence then some static before the phone hung up. I began walking. Maybe if I hurried and ran some of the way I could make it.

The sky was starting to get dark and I was nearly there. I checked to see how much longer I had. Only an hour to go and three before midnight. I pulled my hair up in a ponytail and began to run. Though it was cold, my face was wet with sweat. My makeup would be ruined by the time I got there! I slowed down into a jog and then into walking. My lungs burned and my head hurt. Maybe it was hopeless after all...

I changed my playlist to some sad music and kept walking. Only a few more miles. I walked along the side of the road until a truck sped past me, splashing mud all over my clothes and face. This was awful. So much for a first impression. I kept going, my hope now running low. How could anyone like me when I looked like this?

The sun was completely gone, and thousands upon millions of stars twinkled above. The moon was full, casting a pale glow on my path. It wasn't enough for me to see clearly so I began using my flashlight. Only a mile left now. Maybe I'd make it, maybe not. But I hope it'll be worth it. I was soon greeted by the archway to the Apple Orchard. They weren't closed! My soulmate had to be here somewhere!

My spirits lifted and I began running. I walked up to the entry stand and asked once again, "Is there anyone here who is waiting for their soulmate?" The woman looked up at me and smiled. "I do believe she is still here. Go to the Heart Tree" I began running until I reached my final destination. And there she was, a beautiful girl sitting under the tree. She looked up at me and smiled. My heart fluttered and I sat next to her.

This is the moment I had been waiting for.