Chapter Four | Underground

⊳⊱  ♕  ⊰⊲

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

Zoe and Jake waited while Elijah pulled a maintenance door open and checked the tunnel. He couldn't hear a train, nor did he sense the muffled detainer auras.

"Come on," the demon said, glancing at them. "And watch the third track. We didn't get all this way for one of you to get killed by train tracks."

"Huh?" Zoe asked.

"That's the one that carries the electric current," Jake explained.

Her eyes widened a little.

"You, shift back," Elijah told Jake.

Jake shifted into his human form. His clothes remained intact, which must mean they were enchanted to remain on his human body when he became a leopard.

Elijah led the way towards the station platform. They followed him up the steps, and to Elijah's relief, there wasn't anyone else around.

"Are you okay?" Jake asked, looking at Elijah's leg. "That looks like it's bleeding pretty bad again."

"I'm fine," he grumbled.

The tracks started rumbling, and a cold breeze rushed from the dark tunnel on the left.

"What if more hounds come? Will they follow us all the way out of the city?" Zoe asked worriedly.

Elijah watched the lights of the arriving train light up at the end of the tunnel. "The collars they wear only have so much range. But either way, they won't follow where we're going."

"I thought you said we weren't getting on a train," Jake said with a frown.

"That was when we were running from the detainers," Elijah muttered, and when the train stopped and its doors opened, he stepped on.

"We didn't pay," Zoe whispered to Jake as she sat beside him. "What if we get caught?"

"Shh," Jake murmured.

"My tin," the demon demanded, reaching his arm across Jake to hold his hand out to Zoe.

Zoe cautiously looked around and glanced at the few people sitting down at the other end of the carriage. Then, she opened her bag and tilted it towards him.

He rolled his eyes and took the tin out of her bag. Then, he unclipped the lock and pulled it open. He took the small bottle of Evolovir from beside the leather-bound book, unscrewed the lid, and tipped one of the lavender-purple pills onto his palm. Once he closed the bottle and put it back, he reached into his jacket pocket and took out the small metal box he'd recovered from under his pillow. He carefully placed it in the space between the book and the edge of the tin and then closed it before Jake could peer inside.

"What is all that stuff?" Jake asked.

"None of your business," Elijah snarled.

"Do you want me to put it back in my bag?" Zoe offered.