Thirty Four. now that we don't talk

Start from the beginning

But it felt so strange to think absolutely how they could go from being strangers to best friends to now feeling like he didn't know Topper at all. And yeah, he felt terrible that nobody knew Sarah was actually alive. Terrible that her ex boyfriend thought she was dead. But he'd come too far in life to go back to his old ways now. "I'm sorry too, Top. But let's be real. You lost me and Sarah a long time ago."

He left Topper standing in the middle of the hallway with a frown on his face.

By the time his third period rolled around, Bridger was ready to leave. Inez was doing a good job at keeping his head on straight but the truth was being at the Kook Academy made him miserable. He understood how Kiara felt now, how out of place she must have been feeling when she first came. And he felt guilty for trying to make it hell for her.

He tapped his knuckles on his desk in the science classroom. Mrs. Davison spent her time discussing the work while Bridger copied down notes. He kept getting distracted every few minutes until Inez would pinch his arm to bring him back.

The first thirty minutes dragged on slowly. His cheek was pressed against the palm of his hand and he lazily wrote in his notebook. "Uh, B?" He heard Inez whisper. He looked her way. She looked between him and the window and pointed her finger.

Bridger looked out the classroom window and his eyes went wide when he saw JJ standing outside, waving his arms while Pope and Kiara waved theirs from inside her car. He gritted his teeth and almost cursed but then he remembered he was in class.

JJ mouthed and motioned for him to come outside. Bridger shook his head no, his eyes still wide. He did it again, and they went back forth until JJ got on his knees and locked his hands together. Inez covered her mouth to keep from laughing as she watched. Finally, Bridger huffed frustratingly and he turned to Inez, asking what to do.

She winked at him and turned to the front of three classroom. Before he could blink, Inez fell out of her seat. Everyone in the classroom turned and looked at her and Bridger widened his eyes. "Inez, are you okay?" Mrs. Davison asked quickly went to her.

Inez's eyes fluttered open and she pretended to look confused. "Wha-What happened?" She uttered weakly.

Bridger covered his mouth, feeling a smile come on.

"You fainted honey. Are you feeling okay?" The teacher asked and touched her forehead.

"I-I don't know. I think — I feel so dizzy." Inez kept on.

"We need to get you to the nurse—"

"I-I-I think I should take her, Mrs. Davison. She shouldn't go alone." Bridger stepped in quickly.

"Of course. Thank you, Mr. Fitzgerald."

He rushed out of his seat and grabbed their bags. Bridger helped Inez up from the floor and flashed the teacher a quick, nervous smile before he helped the girl out of the room. She pretended to have dead eight to make it seem more believable.

When they were out of the classroom, Bridger let go of Inez. "Holy shit, that was awesome!" He laughed.

She smiled proudly. "Three years of drama are finally paying off." She hit his arm. "Now go! Hurry!"

He took off running down the hall. "Love you!" He shouted over his shoulder and sprinted to the exit door.

When he got outside, the Pogues were waiting in Kiara's car and JJ rolled his window down. "Hurry up, baby. We got business!" He hollered.

"This better be good. I just had Inez fake passing out to get me out of class!" He shouted back and opened the back door. He slammed it close and looked at all of them. "Okay, what the fuck's up?"