Chapter One ~ A Chance Encounter

As I focused on the task at hand, sweat dripped down my forehead, a testament to my determination. The man under my care cried out sharply as I gently applied a herb mixture to his leg wound, attempting to reduce his discomfort. He tried to recoil, but his wife took the matter into her own hands, smacking down onto his head with a rolling pin as I tended to his wounds.

"You should have listened to me from the start," she shouted fiercely, her grip on the pin causing her knuckles to turn white.

The man fired back with a hint of defiance, "Who knew the piglet's mom was such a tough cookie? We were desperate for that cash."

With only a slight move of the pin towards him, he flinched and muttered something inaudible under his breath.

"Come on now, farmer boy! You're not a hunter for god's sake," she yelled out before turning towards me, apologetically.

"You better be thankful this young lady showed up in the village today, you ungrateful old fart." she continued, giving her husband another lick with the pin.

He cursed and massaged the lump that was sprouting on the crown of his head. It wouldn't be a surprise if she ended up giving him a full-blown concussion before this ordeal was over.

She glanced over at me as I began to wrap the wound, her anger slowly evaporating, "Is he going to be ok?"

I secured the bandage with a tight knot and gathered my things back into my bag. "As long as the wound stays clean he should be healed in no time."

The sky outside had grown dark and ominous. A sudden clap of thunder echoed in the distance, announcing the imminent arrival of a storm. I gestured for her to extend her hand and carefully placed a small pouch onto her outstretched palm.

"Clean the wound daily with warm water and then apply this mixture. Within a few weeks, he'll be up and running again." I said, giving them both a small smile and making my way to the front door.

"Wait!," she hurried into the kitchen.

Pots and pans clanged together with an ear-splitting racket, and I heard her let out a string of curses before an explosive crash echoed from the room.

The man muttered, " always causing a fuss." and limped over to the hearth, throwing a few logs into the dimming flames.

The flames danced before my eyes, hungrily devouring the wood. I took a cautious step back, my bandaged hands already beginning to itch. I felt the suffocating heat close in around me, the panic rising within me. I tried to calm myself by focusing on my fraying sandals, knowing that soon I would have to fashion a new pair.

Awkwardly fidgeting with the bandages around my hands, I stood there feeling out of place and completely uncertain of how to proceed. Should I make a mad dash for it and leave? This whole situation was not part of my plan. I knew that the best way to stay hidden was to avoid human contact like the plague, which is why I had come into town several hours ago to purchase some food and restock my supplies with the intention of remaining discreet. I had already been in this area for two days at this point and I needed to move on.

As I was preparing to depart for the next village which would be a two week long journey, I made sure to gather all the necessary supplies. While I was at the butcher purchasing meat, a commotion erupted in the streets. Suddenly, a desperate cry for help echoed through the air, catching everyone's attention.

The panic in her voice was palpable as she told the villagers about her husband's encounter with a wild boar and the urgent need for a doctor. Despite the attempts of those around her to soothe her fears, her distress only seemed to intensify. Sadly, the remote nature of the village meant that the only doctor was many hours away in another town.