Chapter 15.5: Everyone Knows (even the one who has been here for two seconds)

Start from the beginning

The vote ended up being nine to four.

"Yeah, sure!" Julie said for all of us, patting the seat at the end of the table next to her. Portman and Fulton mumbled something to each other under their breaths as Larson walked to the other side of the table, annoyed at the vote. The only other people who voted against were Russ and Goldberg.

No one else really cared, as he wasn't on the Hawks and couldn't even play hockey anymore; he didn't seem like a jerk anymore either. He and Adam got along now anyway, it seemed.

That said something. Adam normally wasn't comfortable around anyone. He was real shy and small despite his height with the Varsity last year and quiet around most other students too.

The only time I've ever actually seen him be himself is with Charlie, during pick-up games, or on the ice. He could be fierce, but in certain times.

Charlie and Adam came back a couple minutes later and sat in their seats. Charlie seemed hesitant though once he saw Larson; he and Julie were talking and smiling with each other now.

"What'd we miss?" Charlie asked finally taking his seat next to Adam with a sigh. Adam aimed a grateful smile Charlie's way. I guess they were good, for now at least, and so were the Ducks. Now we have less of a chance of completely butchering our game on Friday.

"Not much," Guy answered with a wave of his hand. "Just some casual bullying and bickering."

Charlie laughed and I rolled my eyes. "We weren't bullying him!" I looked at Julie. "Right?"

"Yeah, it wasn't bullying." She agreed, suppressing a smile.

"I felt pretty bullied." Averman joked, the twinkle in his eye giving him away.

"Oh, hush." Julie said, lightly smacking him on the arm again.

"See!" Averman exclaimed, practically jumping up and out of his seat. "Charlie, you saw that! Bullying!"

"She tapped you Averman," Charlie laughed. Adam just watched the ordeal, rolling his eyes and shaking his head as he ate his food.

I would eat, but I haven't been hungry lately. The most I've eaten in the past few days is a light breakfast and half or most of dinner. I looked to Guy, who was eating leftover pasta salad his mom made from his weekend home. Just the thought and sight of food was enough to make me nauseous.

Guy smiled when he caught my gaze, a little sheepish from his mouthful of salad. I couldn't help but giggle at the sight of him and the nausea faded away.

His hair was all curly around his face and his smile made his nose crinkle up. I leaned forward in my seat and gave him a peck on the forehead. He grinned even wider at that.

"God," someone spoke up. I turned away from Guy to see Linda pointing at us with her fork, a thoughtful smile on her face. "It's like everyone else disappears when you two are together."

I felt my face warm, but agreed. "Yeah, I guess." I looked back at Guy, who was smiling sweetly at me. "We're not the only ones though." I smirked, meeting Linda's eyes again and tilting my head subtly toward the two who'd almost gotten into another fight earlier.

Luis snorted next to Kenny, almost choking on his food. Kenny patted his back gently as he coughed. Still neither Charlie nor Adam looked up from their own little conversation.

"You notice that too?" Linda looked at Larson.

"You mean before Conway got kinda pissed over nothing?" He nodded. "Yeah. It's kinda stupid how oblivious they are." Everyone turned to glance at the pair, still locked into their conversation, Adam laughing at a remark Charlie made.

"Well, if we know they're gonna fuck everything up if left to their own devices," Fulton started.

"Should we interfere?" Portman finished.

"Probably." Russ agreed, getting up to throw out his trash.

"Who is interfering with what?" Charlie looked up. "'Cause if it can get anyone benched, suspended, or expelled, I'll bench you right now. We need to do well this season."

"Oh, Captain Duck means business!" Goldberg said. I smacked him before answering Charlie.

"It's nothing Charlie." I promised quickly. "No one's doing anything."

"Alright good." Charlie smiled. "We need the full Quack Attack this year, yeah?"

"You guys are sickening, you know that, right?" Alex said from next to Julie, but he was smiling a tiny smile anyway.

"It's team spirit, buddy." Goldberg said, patting Larson's back as he passed him on his way to throw out his and Averman's trash.

"Yeah, that," Adam said as he got up to take care of his and Charlie's trash, taking Fulton's and Dean's too. "Welcome to Eden Hall, Alex."

I decided to make this half a chapter because it's doesn't really have enough context to be a full one and I have plans, but I think it was necessary for how I wrote this. Adam and Charlie being oblivious to their surroundings, I mean. The conversation of the Ducks planning to interfere was only doable in a different pov, ya know?

But! This is out early, huh? It is only half a chapter, so it's not that big a deal, but still. I'll try to finish the actual chapter 16 by Monday (no guarantees). :)

I hope yal have a good day/night/Thursday/Friday, 'cause time differences exist. Love you all and thank you for reading!