chapter twenty eight

song: I can see you - taylor swift

"Game on gorgeous." Jere smirked. 

"Alright everyone! The games are best of five rounds, first and last everyone plays. For the rest, choose your best fighter." Belly instructed as we all nodded.

"Alright losers, you ready!" I grinned as Taylor fistbumped me. "Three, two, one go!" Jeremiah yelled as he quickly took off with a headstart. We all immediately separated as we took for cover. I ran towards where I heard shooting and found Steven pointing his gun at Taylor.

I aimed mine toward his chest plate and heard the wonderful sound of victory.

"You suck." The boy groaned as I quickly ran off. "No I don't!" I yelled back, hiding behind a wall. "It's adorable how you think you can hide from me." I heard Jeremiah's voice and before I could react I saw my plate light up as he cheered.

"Worst boyfriend ever." I muttered, under my breath.

"You're a very bad liar." He smiled, placing a kiss on my forehead before running off.

"Conrad, where are you?" I said in a sing song voice as I tiptoed around the foam props. A sigh left my lips as I peaked through one of the openings. I heard the sound of a gun go off and I turned around to see the brunette smirking. "Gotta be faster than that." He challenged, walking off. "Okay now it's a game." I replied annoyed, turning the corner to look for my next target.

I ran and saw Steven trying to tag Taylor again, so I ended up scoring points off him. Now the score was tied and I was out of breath from running everywhere.

I saw Conrad eyeing Belly and quickly ran over to try and prevent us from losing.

Con must have had superhuman abilities because he sensed me coming. The boy grabbed my arm and pulled me against his chest, so that I was stuck.

Just as Belly was passing, Jeremiah snuck in carrying her as Conrad shot her with his free hand that wasn't wrapped around me.

"That's cheating!" I complained as Conrad was still hugging me to his chest, the two boys cheering loudly.

"How?" His asked in disbelief with a smile, now bringing his other arm up so he was holding me in a hug. I brought my hand up shoving him away from me as I crossed my arms. "You were basically holding me hostage." I struggled to hide my smile.

"Was I? You looked very comfortable to me.." His tone got lower and my mouth stuttered to form a response.

My lips parted as his eyes stared into mine. We were cut off as Jeremiah walked over wrapping an arm around mine.

"No hard feelings?" He joked. "No hard feelings." I replied back, my voice still unsteady. I turned to look back at Conrad but he was already engrossed in a conversation with Belly.

What had just happened?

-

"Hey guys don't worry! Next round." Belly tried to cheer us up as we walked out of the lazer tag building.

"Next time? I think we're playing capture the flag next." I rolled my eyes as Conrad teased the group. "Whatever. I need a pee break." Taylor waved them off. "Right after you." I told the girl, following her to the restroom.

-

I walked up to the mirror, fixing my hair lightly. "Are you sure your okay BriBri?" Taylor asked me as she started washing her hands.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" I tilted my head confused. "I don't know. I just everything's been super messed up since, you know? Belly and Conrad." She muttered, now fixing her hair as well.

"Speaking of, I haven't really had a chance to talk to Belly. Does she still have feelings for him?" I asked, feeling dumb as the question left my lips.

"I think she always will but she's realizing that maybe he's not the person she's meant to be with, you know? Like recently she's been spending a lot of time with.."

It was as if the words died in her throat.

"Who?" I asked, not having a clue what she was talking about.

"Herself, yeah. She's been really focusing on herself." Taylor chimed in again.

"Oh yeah. That's really good." I smiled at the girl as we exited the restroom. "And you?" I asked diverting the subject. "Milo's been great. He's great." She drifted off as I followed her line of sight to Steven. I had to hide my smile as we made our way to the group.

Everything was going to turn out okay.

"You think I can do it right now?" Steven asked the group as he began climbing the rockwall without a harness. "No no no! You actually can't do that without a harness." A voice said running in. We all turned to see Cameron. My jaw dropped as everyone began saying hi.

"Uhm Skye, this is Cameron!" Belly introduced excitedly. "Great catching up, but we have some unfinished business!" Steven said pointing at Taylor. I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from laughing as I saw the two going up the wall.

"Come on Taylor!" I yelled out, cheering for the girl.

However it didnt last for long and I immediately groaned, covering my face with my hands as Steven got the flag. "I'm sorry, I was so close." Taylor apologized to the three of us.

"It's okay being the underdog is so hot." I tried to reassure her.

"What's next?" Cameron asked. "It's their call." Belly said, motioning to the guys.

"I think it might be time to shoot your shot." Conrad told the girl. "Belly's got this in the bag." I whispered to Skye who was next to me. "Let's go then!" Jeremiah cheered, as we all began walking to the familiar basketball game.

"Ready to see me win?" Conrad spoke up from behind me. "In your dreams." I rolled my eyes as we continued on our way.

"I guess, we'll just have to agree to disagree."

"Isn't that what we always do?" I grinned, feeling Jeremiah's hand slide into mine.

"Cool it you two. Leave that trash talking for the court." The boy joked, pulling me closer to his side. "Looks like we're already here." Cameron spoke up.

word count: 1048
Thanks so much for reading! Don't forget to vote/comment! Let me know what you think!🤍