PROLOGUE: THE START

In the year XXXX, the world was ravaged by wars and has since been recovering. Human population steadily rose, but the surrounding landscape remained unsalvageable. In order to support the recuperating human population, scientists set out to develop a super plant that could be cultivated in harsh terrain and feed many, as well as add a touch of beauty to such a barren world. However, a fatal flaw was made, and the institution blew up in flames. Out of the total of 50 scientists, 25 were identified to be dead, and 13 were identified to be missing. The 12 survivors were put into intensive care, but the majority of them died due to mysterious plant growths from within their bodies. With the explosion site deemed responsible for the condition of those deaths, the area became sectioned off from the rest of the world and was quarantined until officials decree that it is safe.

A few months later, various buildings were overcome with dense plant growth, and bodies were found overgrown with flora deeply rooted into them. The area became quarantined, and people were screened before evacuation. Even so, a number of people displayed various signs of infection, unable to be touched by people for an extended amount of time before blooming into a burst of leaves and flowers. Depending on where the blooms surfaced, there were people who passed with an immediate death. This phenomenon became known as the "Walking Garden Incident," and those afflicted were "walking gardens." Plans for a walled city were made to ensure the safety of civilians against the outbreak of that plant growth, while further research was made on the victims of the situation.

The quarantined area became known as the "Labyrinth." With each passing decade, civilization was pushed closer and closer to the ocean by the ever-growing vegetation of "Labyrinth" ...