CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE: SACRIFICES

Start from the beginning

"Can I make a phone call, please?" he asked the man taking him to his cell.

"Do you want privileges already?"

Ryan pulled a couple of bills from his pocket.

"This is for you if you'll let me make that call."

"Now we understand each other."

Mia was still lying down. The telephone rang. It was an unknown number. Mia decided to reply in case it was from the university.

"Hello, who's calling?"

"It's me, Ryan."

Mia sat upright in bed.

"Where are you?"

"I'd like you to visit me tomorrow in Artshel's maximum security jail. It is a visiting day. Come alone; I need to talk to you. Please keep quiet about what happened."

"Okay. I will be there. When are the visits?"

Mia was relieved that her mother's absence due to her book signing tour spared her from having to explain the situation to anyone.

The next day, as she prepared to travel to Artshel, she received a message from Xena.

Mia read the following:

'I'm happy, Mia. Ryan, the fucking son of a bitch, is now in jail!'

Mia wasn't sure whether to react or not, but she did so that Xena wouldn't suspect her.

Xena received Mia's message.

'I understand. So, justice was served. But you shouldn't talk about your father like that.'

Xena could not believe what she was reading.

'He may be my biological father, but he will never be my dad. Why do you always defend him? I can't comprehend it.'

'Don't be angry. I just thought your expressions were a bit harsh.'

Xena replied:

'All right, Mia. We will not dispute this. When will you return?'

'This evening.'

'How delightful.' Xena replied.

Mia did not send any more messages. She had to leave the house if she didn't want to miss her flight.

Mia entered the crowded jail visiting room, filled with a mix of despair and happiness as people reunited with their loved ones despite their faults. Although she was aware that her father was imprisoned in the same jail, Mia had never mustered the courage to visit him before. She needed to correct her error. She intended to visit him in a week.

Ryan was sitting at one of the tables, looking serious. His expression softened when he noticed her entering the room.

"Mia, I'm so glad you came," Ryan said, his eyes reflecting gratitude and relief at seeing her.

"I needed to come. How are you doing?"

"I am precisely where I should be. Isn't this part of my redemption?"

"What exactly did you want to talk about?"

"Mia, don't talk about what occurred to Xena or anyone else. It no longer matters. Leave me alone. Don't bother coming to see me anymore."

Mia felt a sharp pain in her chest, overwhelmed by an inexplicable sensation of anguish.

"Maybe it is best not to say anything, Ryan. I've considered it and don't see a solution, but I'd like to come see you. If you've been redeemed, it's because of me, as you mentioned. You may need to see me to stay on track."

"Mia, if I keep seeing you, I will be unable to forget our time together. You are too wonderful! You love Xena, and she loves you back. That is genuine, pure love. Live it up, precious," Ryan expressed, his eyes showing a mix of longing and resignation. Mia felt a pang in her heart, torn between her emotions for Ryan and her commitment to Xena.

"But... Ryan..."

"Mia, I damage everything I touch. I destroyed Eliza and Tabitha. I could drive Terra nuts. That isn't what I want for you. I would desire for you to live. Be happy with Xena. I don't matter."

Mia said, her eyes welling up with tears.

"I genuinely care about you."

Ryan caressed Mia's cheek gently.

"You are amazing. You are too good for me. I am a criminal."

"You have changed. I changed you."

"I'm grateful, but please be happy," Ryan begged. "Guardian! I would like to go to my cell. Mia, goodbye."

Mia was left with an overwhelming emptiness consuming her from within.