Chapter XII: Pride

Start from the beginning

"Sophie, you can go on without me. I'll be staying here for a while longer." Sophie struck a worrying look, she practically fitted in with the whole aesthetic. As though looking through a painting waiting to be made.

"I insist, I do love it here. Get some rest." Worst comes to worst, Gim Ji did say he would be staying up till two in the morning if we ever needed a way down without the orb. Sophie also looked exhausted herself, it looked like travelling and thoughts in her mind had taken a toll. Part of me did feel wrong leaving her alone, she'd always feel better whenever I comforted her, but now was the time when I couldn't. A small sacrifice I'm willing to take.

"Please don't hurt yourself then, we still need you in one piece! It's cold here." Honestly, I should start calling her mother Sophie at this rate, she seemed to never stop worrying for me.

"I can take care of myself, thank you very much." She gives one hard look almost gasping for air laughing.

"You... take care of yourself? Oh Claire, if I left you alone for one day you'd somehow be kidnapped and be sent to the Kingdom of Brasilia." Sophie's cackling shattered any motherly notion left within her. The lack of faith in me was almost appalling but unsurprising, especially for her.

"Oh come on Claire, I'm only joking." I only realised I was glaring at her intently, but she needlessly continued laughing either way.

"Anyways, I'll be heading back now, but in all seriousness Claire. Don't wander too far away." I follow back with a nod and wave. As she walks away I quickly find the transmission orb, almost completely dull compared to its vibrant purple nature. I suppose Jang couldn't use it so it must've slowly eroded. I carefully took the orb and clasped it with both hands, sparking a ticklish sensation from the magic within.

"Gim Ji, do you copy?" The orb began to illuminate as best it could, fluttering with little purplish clouds.

"It's Gim Ji, is that you Claire? Are you ladies ready to head back?" A flicker of panic wrestled in me, as I strived to answer in swiftness.

"U-uh yeah, Sophie will be heading back now. I'll be staying a while longer." There was no initial response, I waited restlessly for him to answer.

"How long will you be staying up there?" I shuffled to find my pocket watch, it was nearing eleven now, just over an hour left.

"A couple of hours, give or take." I could sense my stuttering.

"I doubt I'd stay awake until then, you'll have to use the teleportation orb to come back. Will you manage?" I wanted to say no, I wanted comfort and company. But... Sophie was right. How can I take care of myself? I've been relying on her for far too long. I need to stand up for myself, I can't keep going on like this.

"I will, you don't have to worry. You need your rest. After all, you'll be helping us a lot with the transportation." I hear a little snicker over the transmission.

"You are right about that. I'll head over to pick up Sophie, in the meantime do stay safe and keep warm. It does get quite cold up there." The luminescent purple glow slowly retreats to its dull form. From the distance, I see Sophie and Gim Ji, Sophie waves before proceeding with the teleport. One more hour left.

10 Degrees, Central Imperium (Kingdom of Jeong) Morning.

Claire Elford, 1894, 17th June, Heaven's Lake;

The air felt cold, still a needless reminder of what I had been waiting for. Although I was told not to wander too far I found myself right beside the lake. It mirrored the moon and the stars surrounding the dark sky. It almost felt like I was being watched, as though protected by guardian angels who'd shield me from harm. I couldn't tell whether or not I was either deluding myself to remain calm or I'd finally gain confidence. My hand had been clasping the pocket watch, one minute had passed from midnight. I shuffled through my satchel to find my dad's wand. The handle was made from ancient wood. Glistening from the reflection of the stars above. With the top end wrapping over a white orb, the heart of its power granted the user the title of Tempestarius. It's been so long since I've used it, but if anything or anyone could make me safe right now, it's me with this. I almost jumped as the silent sound of trodding grew more clamorous, approaching closer from behind. I take one last cold breath and release the last bits of tension I had. I'm here to get answers.