assuming things about each other 101

a/n:

please bear with me until i organize my life a little. i'm in the process of changing things up a bit and making more time for writing! until then these spontaneous updates will continue. sorry for the inconvenience.  thanks to those who follow up with the updates diligently. it's heart-warming to see immediate comments and votes.

as for the story, it will be fast-paced because it's a novella. lots of fun, romance and comedy ahead so enjoy x

“It’s so hot today,” Anjali said, bringing the ends of her saree to fan her face

“It’s so hot today,” Anjali said, bringing the ends of her saree to fan her face. “There’s no use for this ceiling fan. There’s literally no air that’s coming from it.”

Malini placed a tetra pack of mango juice in front of her. “Here, this might cool you down.”

“Thanks,” she said, stabbing the straw into it and sipping it. “So, Malini. Tell me about your family.”

“If I tell you that, will you tell me why you are down?” Malini asked, leaning against the stack of social science textbooks.

Anjali immediately looked away. “It’s nothing,” she murmured, pushing away Karthik’s face that just flashed in her mind. Her heart ached when she thought about how she had lost her chance to make him hers. Forever. Tanya’s ears were just like his, slightly pointed and small. And she had his smile. There was no better confirmation.

She should be happy for him but Anjali was selfish. She couldn’t shake off the feeling that she should be the one standing next to him, holding their baby together. But then again, it was her fault. She should have put her heart and soul into finding him. She shouldn’t have relied on the hand that fate played her and waited for it to bring him to her. During her monthly catch-up calls with Layla, Anjali had told her that if it was meant to be, they’d find each other again. She strongly believed in it despite Layla nudging her to take a step.

She should’ve listened to Layla.

Because now they’d found each other again but it was just too late.

Karthik. Oh god. Thinking of his name was like twisting a knife inside her chest. From where did such intense feelings come from?

“Anjali,” Malini called to get her attention. “Something’s wrong, isn’t it? You’ve been zoning out all day. What are you thinking?”

She forced a smile. “It’s nothing. Just some things about someone I know. Tell me about your family.”

“Fine,” Malini leaned back, giving up on her. “My mother is a retired teacher and my father used to work in the Electric Board department. He is retired too now. I have one younger sister. In fact, you should be meeting her now,” she looked at her watch, “but she’s running late again. She’s returned from her college for her break and she promised she’d bring me lunch.”