Chapter 13: Exile

Toren Daen

I awoke with the dawn, rays of sunlight peeking over the edges of clarwood trees. The remnants of my fire smoldered in an ashen pit, having long since extinguished. Around me, several small mounds of dirt hinted at the mana beast bodies I had buried before going to bed, both to avoid attracting predators and as a measure of respect.

Birdsong filled the air, despite the fact I had yet to see any sort of bird in this forest. I got up and stretched, working out kinks in my back. I had slept against a tree, sheltered by a branch above and with my dagger clutched in my hand. It wasn't the most secure setup, but it was the best I could do.

I searched around my pack, about to withdraw my waterskin. I was understandably parched.

Before I could, however, a searing pain lanced from my mana core, causing me to stumble. I gasped as the pressure built, pushing against the boundary of my core. It was like something was rushing to get out, threatening to burst from my nexus of power. And by whatever gods existed in this world, it hurt.

What the hell, I thought to myself in panic as sweat dewed on my forehead. What is happening?

The pain began to finally simmer away, leaving me heaving. As the Unseen World subsumed my vision, I finally realized what the burning pain was. I should have expected it to happen sooner, to be honest.

The Beast Will of Lady Dawn was rebelling against my body. If I didn't manage to assimilate it into my body, the Will would break down within me, ripping my core apart as the vessel was too small to handle it. It would sear and sear and sear, building in intensity and frequency before my core finally shattered, scattering the Will with it.

Lady Dawn was standing expectantly before me. Her orange sundress melded with the sun, outlining her body in a flare of light. The phoenix's shadowy purple skin seemed more prominent with all the bright colors about her.

"The Will is fighting back," Lady Dawn said smoothly. "You must not let it."

"Gotta assimilate it," I said, steadying my breathing. "I know. And I know the theory behind assimilation, too." I gulped, sitting back down by my tree once more. "But I think I'm gonna need help."

Lady Dawn tilted her head. "That is to be expected," she said in her familiar monotone.

I huffed. Lady Dawn didn't intend to degrade me, I knew. That she expected failure still hurt.

I peered inward at my mana core, inspecting the light orange nexus of power. I would need to disperse mana across my entire body, letting my muscles and bones slowly absorb the energy.

I pulled pure mana from my core, guiding it as best I could to each of my limbs and letting it settle. It was a slow and steady process, and it tested my patience. Mana would break off, shifting dispersing around my body or escaping into the air. Sometimes I felt the mana strengthening my body, which was not what I actually wanted it to do. It needed to remain pure and practically intent-less, then finally it would be absorbed by my body in a more fundamental way.

I was beginning to grow frustrated by the process before a set of warm hands laid themselves on my back. Another force added itself to my own, acting with nigh infinitely more precision and care than my own ever could. Under this intent's direction, mana began to finally settle across my body. It needed to be held in place, something that I mimicked the best I could by copying Lady Dawn's motions. It was a paltry effort compared to what the phoenix was doing, but I needed to assist somehow.

This attempt at wrangling my own mana to do what I needed of it continued for a long while more. I actually noticed some of the mana finally seep into my muscles at that point; that success motivated me more than anything. But eventually, I felt Lady Dawn's influence on my mana recede. It was like a breath of warm air rushing away, leaving a hollow space where something used to dwell.