Chapter 29: Another Receptionist

Toren Daen

It turned out there was another exit from the Cistern: a simple ladder that opened under a decrepit building.

It had been fifteen minutes since I left the Cistern, and I was still silently fuming about having to go through the sewers. If there was an entrance right there, why?!

Of course, I knew the reason. If you wanted a swifter getaway, the sewers were more efficient and didn't leave a trail like everything else. But I was a freak for cleanliness, and that trait had only been exacerbated by my forced stay in the Clarwood Forest.

Being unable to wash and clean myself reliably made me crave baths and showers with a religious fervor.

I'd have to get over it, though.

Wade led me through alleyways, guiding me through mazes of broken-down buildings. We did our best to avoid unfriendly eyes, which was easier than I expected. We maintained stealth for a while, but Wade slowly relaxed as we got farther from the Cistern's secret entrance. The early evening light helped mask our movements.

"There's not much of a point trying to maintain cover now," Wade said. We were both wearing cloaks to ward off the chill, which drew the attention of many of the people we passed. I could see the greed in their eyes, which made me vehemently disagree with the young librarian. We were wearing hats to cover our hair, which would hopefully make attempts to identify us more difficult.

I flared my killing intent when a nearby ruffian with yellow-green spots on his skin started looking a little too long at us. He flinched, then quickly averted his eyes. That man wasn't the first person I'd had to flex my metaphoric muscles at to make them back off.

"Considering I just had to use my killing intent for the fifth time in the last ten minutes, I think I disagree," I said.

"Oh, you'll always run the risk of getting robbed this deep into East Fiachra," Wade replied, a hint of annoyance entering his voice. "It's how things are out here. But we won't get tracked back to base."

I shot an uncertain look at my companion. "How does anybody own anything here?"

"You don't," Wade replied in a clipped tone. "Most of East Fiachra is made up of nonmages. They rot here, out of sight from those who can't stand the filth. The Bloods like to pretend this district doesn't exist."

I winced internally, thinking once more about how deeply I desired to be clean.

Wade shook his head. "It's something you'll get used to if you live here long enough."

"You sound like you know this place," I said, stepping over a rotting slat of wood in the street.

"I grew up here," Wade said, raising a hand to stop me. One of his rats scampered over, no doubt delivering a report of some kind. After a second he waved me on, moving to a short, squat building. "I know this place as well as any."

"You don't live here anymore?" I asked.

"I got out once I manifested my runes," he said. "It's easier to get a paying job with magic. Most leave after they do and don't look back."

He opened the door to the building, which creaked on its hinges. The doorknob looked like it was ready to fall out of its frame. Inside was a small apartment complex, not unlike the one I used to live in. It was far more decrepit, though, with dust and debris all along the hallway.

"I never realized things were this bad," I said. Toren never left his little section of East Fiachra, which was closer to the richer parts of the city. Though he met plenty of poorer folks, I was realizing he was quite sheltered for a young mage. "I'm sorry you had to grow up with this," I finished.