Chapter 11: The Dueling Club

Start from the beginning

They were all for it, so that evening we hurried back to the Great Hall. The long dining tables had vanished, only one long stage was left in the middle of the Hall.

All six of us groaned when we spotted  the man an the stage that was going to teach us how to duel.

"Dumbledore's gone mad," Enzo muttered.

"Always thought he was out of his mind," Blaise sighed.

I shrugged. "Might as well watch Lockhart make a fool of himself."

"Gather around! Gather around," Lockhart called. "Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent!

"In the light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club, to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions — for full details, see my published works."

He took of his cloak and threw it at the crowd of students. Some girls squeaked in excitement and tried to touch it.

"Let me introduce my assistant..." Lockhart extended his hand to the other end of the table. "Professor Snape."

I almost choked on my own spit. What?!

Severus made his way onto the stage. His usual long black cloak replaced by dark robes that fell to his knees over black trousers.

"Nows I don't want any of you youngsters to worry—" Lockhart spoke. "You'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him. Never fear!"

Snape and Lockhart raised their wands in front of their faces like swords, lowered them, turned around, walked a few steps away so that they were meters apart, then turned their heels to face each other again.
Lockhart counted, "One, two, three—"

Snape gave him no chance and yelled, "Expelliarmus!" but if you heard him, it sounded more like: 'Ex... pelliarmus!'

Lockhart was blasted off his feet: he flew back wards and smashed onto the far end of the stage.

Almost all the Slytherins cheered. Daphne was dancing on her tiptoes. "Do you think he's all right?" she asked her cousin, Astoria, who was standing beside her.

"Who cares?" Pansy and I said together.

The girls gave is dirty looks.

Lockhart hurriedly stood back up and started walking back to the middle of the stage.

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but it you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious what, you were about to do, And if I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy."

Snape was looking murderous — mind you, he always did. "Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells Professor?"

Lockhart face said 'Hey, why didn't I think of that? Oh, right because I don't think!' Then he grinned. "An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape."

He turned to the students. "Well... Let's have a volunteer pair. Um... Potter, Weasley, how about you?"

I knew he favorites Harry. Damn it.

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a match box."

You sound so hopeful, Severus.

"Might I suggest someone from my own house?"

I smiled with pride.

"Malfoy, perhaps?"