xii. dance with me

Start from the beginning

"I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the Army, either of you, if you were a beautiful dame. Or a...A woman." Both Peggy and Clara turned to look at him with raised brows, "An agent. Not a dame. You are beautiful, but..." The Parker woman burst into laughter, covering her lips as a bright smile spread over her face. He's so hopeless when it comes to women, it's so funny. 

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?" Peggy just shook her head, befuddled by the little man trying to talk her up. 

Steve actually laughed, "I think this is the longest conversation I've had with one besides Lars, and even then, she mostly speaks with Bucky." Clara sighed, tilting her head to the side, "It's true, I'm surprised you two aren't married yet."

"Bucky is nothing more then my bestfriend, Steve." She reassured him, "I love him to bits, however, he's to much for me and I don't feel ready for a relationship after my previous one, I'm quite happy as it is; well I'd be happier if you two weren't begging to go off to war and probably get shot in between the eyes." 

"Well, women's aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on." He said sadly, looking down at his hands as he fiddled with the material of his trousers. 

"You must've danced." Peggy spoke, not being able to believe he's not danced with anyone. Clara's mind goes back to the night they spent when Bucky had slept over at one of his dates house and their favourite song played on the radio. 

Clara's eyes lit up when she heard her favourite song coming from the radio, Steve was completing the crossword puzzle in the newspaper when she got up and walked over to the radio and turned it up all the way. The twenty-two year old lifted his eyes as she turned towards him, a smile spreading over her face, "Come on, we must dance to this song. I adore it." Steve let out a deep sigh, shaking his head, Clara smiled mischievously as she shimmied over to him. 

The woman took the newspaper out of his hand and placed it beside him, taking his free hands and pulling him to his feet. His perfect blue eyes caught hers, she was still unsure if they were a beautiful shade of swampy green or a bright ice blue, they changed in the lights. Moving Steve's shoulders, Clara's feet moved back and forth as they danced to the music. She twirled him, spotting a smile form on his face, "Come on, please, dance with me." Steve just laughed as she moved his shoulders again, pouting her lips playfully as they danced. Clara let her head fall side to side when she took his hands and placed them on her waist and hooked hers around his neck, "Like this, follow my steps."

She remembered the steps of the dances that Nik taught her over the years, but they were just turning in a clockwise motion. Steve was warm, he was sweating as his fingers tapped nervously against her waist. 

Clara just smiled at him as they turned, "See, you're getting the hang of it." He chuckled when he stepped on her toe a moment later, Clara hissed in pain but she quickly shook it off and continued to dance with him when Steve twirled her around. She was in some silk pyjamas, so no dress brushed against his legs as she twirled, although Steve almost got a mouthful of her long dark hair. "Sorry, I must cut this hair, it's so long."

"It's fine, Lars." The nickname made her heart skip a beat, as she smiled at him. The song came to an end and the presenter began to speak, but the two too caught up in the moment continued to stare at one another. They looked into each others eyes for what felt like an eternity, Steve getting lost in the darkness but warmth of her chocolatey brown eyes. The closer you looked, you could see the light specks of green as if they were tress trying to grow out of her but were kept down by the tundra of stories she had hidden away. Steve always thought that about Clara, she was so happy and kind all the time, but he saw in her eyes that she was hurting deep down. And he hurt for her.