Ch. 10: Movie, Dinner, & Harris

Start from the beginning

"I just think they're unrealistic."

"How so?"

"The way most of them make it seem like everything works out in the end, that everything has a happy ending—it's farfetched."

We reached a red light. I lowered my arms and looked out the window, pushing a small smile to my lips. "But I think everything does work out in the end. Whether the ending is happy, that's subjective, but I do think that everyone's matters get settled in a way that's best for us, whether or not we realize it. It all works out in our favor. It may not seem like it, but the fact is, as humans, we don't truly know what's good for us, only Allah SWT knows."

Fawad looked at me intently.

"I always like to believe that when something doesn't go our way, we were saved from something bigger that we don't even know of. When we're going through the difficult situation, it's hard to be cognizant of these things or to even see the light at the end of the tunnel. As humans, that's how we are. Forgetful and impatient. We forget the things we've overcome and feel like there's no solution to our current circumstances. But it's important to step back and reflect on the times we've felt like that and we're able to come out of it."

I looked at Fawad, searching his eyes. His stare reflected his somber deepness of thought filled with conflict and contemplation.

The light turned green, and he turned his head and continued driving. The silence continued as the sun slowly began its descent into the horizon. I wanted him to say something, but he didn't.

We pulled into the parking lot of the movie theaters. He got out of the car and opened the door for me.

"Thank you," I gave him a soft smile.

He responded with a polite nod.

"What are we watching then?" I asked as we walked to the box office. "There's also a horror comedy mov-"

"Your Bollywood movie."

I lifted an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Really."

"You won't be bored?"

"We'll see about that," he shrugged lightheartedly.

We had arrived just in time. The next screening was in 30 minutes. Fawad paid for two tickets, and we went inside. I pleaded him to allow me to pay for the popcorn and slushies, but as usual, he didn't hear a word. "Haan haan. Ab millionaire jo tehre," I teased him, earning an eyeroll and an amused smirk.
(Yes yes. Now you are a millionaire)

The trailers were already playing in the dim theater when we entered. The red reclining seats were filled sparsely. The movie had already been in theaters for a few weeks, so I didn't expect there to be more than a couple of us watching.

I followed Fawad to the center of the empty row in the middle of the house. We settled into our seats and placed our slushies in the holders. I held onto the large tub of popcorn and scanned the room before I observed him with soft eyes.

This felt like a date, that he was my boyfriend, and like other romantic couples, we were out for a movie and dinner. He paid for everything like a gentleman and selected the movie of my choice. How could I not find it difficult to keep my feelings from growing?

"F*ck, I can't remember the last time I came to the theaters to watch a movie," Fawad looked around.

"That too on a workday, huh?" I joked.

A smile tugged on his lips when, suddenly, we both turned around. A couple on the row above us bumped into the back of our seats while trying to get to theirs.