Chapter 54: The Relictombs

Toren Daen

"Striker candidate Toren Daen," said a tall woman with a face that looked like it hadn't seen enough coffee, "Flexibility of offensive magic, above average. Manipulation of mana, average. Athleticism, exceptional. Mental acuity, above average. Survivability rate, high."

One of the greatest injustices in this world was that there was no coffee in it. I saw it in the eyes of practically every receptionist I'd met on this continent.

She held her notepad to the side. "You've passed your ascender's assessment, Lord Daen. Congratulations are in order."

I smiled tiredly. The assessment differed very little from what was displayed in The Beginning After the End and in my own research. The only notable change was the mana beasts I was tasked with fighting. Instead of giant arachnoids, I faced the small shadow cats I'd fought in the Clarwood Forest.

Regis's assumption that he and Arthur faced normal mana beasts from the surface was correct.

A small man clothed in the same white mage's robe and red armband spoke up next. "Since you displayed moderate caster abilities, we recommend partying with a shield and sentry as your primary focus, though a capable caster should be on your radar."

I nodded, shaking each of their hands. I hadn't displayed many ranged abilities such as my fireballs, sound grenades, or the techniques I had trained in the Clarwood Forest these past few weeks. Instead, I used generic fire, sound, and telekinetic shrouds along with Oath and Promise to deal with the obstacles I faced.

Hofal watched from the sidelines, too worn and shaken from today's earlier events to comment. He nodded as I stepped in next to him, and both of us silently escorted back to the Fiachran Ascender's Association.

"You did very well for a non-academy mage," Hofal said from the side. "That's something to be proud of, Toren," he said.

I shrugged. "I had a great teacher," I replied. "Now, I've got to prepare for my first ascent."

My dimension ring was filled and double-filled with rations and water. I wasn't taking the possibility of the Relictombs reacting to Lady Dawn lightly

Hofal looked at me. "You're not going into the Relictombs without me, Toren," he said, patting the axe on his belt. "I'm going to join you."

I turned to face him, surprised by his assertion. "Why? I thought you were retired from ascending."

"I did retire, Toren," he said, his gruff voice seeming older. "But I'm not going to sign you up to be an ascender just to leave you to take your prelim with strangers."

My thoughts jumped back to Lady Dawn's warning. I couldn't predict how the Relictombs would react to me. If I let Hofal come with me on my ascent, I would be responsible for anything that happened to him as a result.

I pulled Hofal off to the side, getting a perturbed look from the man, the act emphasizing his bushy brows. I lowered my voice as I spoke. "Look, Hofal, I can't predict how the Relictombs will react to my presence. It could be a lot more dangerous than you're used to."

Hofal scrutinized my face. "Then that's all the more reason for me to go with you," he said. "I don't know what you're fighting, Toren, but you don't need to do it alone."

I swallowed at his words, looking away. I thought of his helpful advice last night and how I finally began to meld into the community again.

I was alone in this.

"No," I said again, shaking my head. "I won't be responsible for what might happen to you. If you want to, you can wait near the descension portal for me."