Chapter 6: The End of Everyday Life

Shiro POV

Three weeks had passed since the entrance ceremony. It was now our fourth period, which was Mashima-sensei's class. As soon as the bell rang, Mashima-sensei walked into the noisy classroom.

Shiro: 'Seriously, what's with the perfect timing?'

Tomonari: "Good morning class. Today's lesson will be a bit more serious than usual."

Masayoshi: "Huh? What do you mean by that, sensei?" Hmm, this is new.

Tomonari: "It's the end of the month, so we're going to have a short test. Please pass these to the back." He handed out the papers to the students in the front row. I took a test sheet and passed the rest at the back. It contained questions in the five main subjects. With only a few questions per subject, it really was short. No one seemed to have a problem with it, considering they all were paying attention in all classes.

Tomonari: "Keep in mind that this test is just for future reference. It won't be reflected in your report cards. There is no risk involved, so don't worry. Of course, cheating is prohibited." Why did he say it like that? He didn't need to say that since only general grades were reflected in your report card. However, the way he told to us implied that it would be reflected in some other way. Well, no time to worry about that now. If this did not affect our report card, then there was no need to be so cautious. As soon as the pop quiz began, I scanned the questions. There were four questions per subject, for a total of twenty. Each question was worth five points, for a total of one hundred points. Most of the questions were extraordinarily easy, to the point where it was almost a letdown. In fact, the questions seemed to be about two levels less difficult than the ones on the entrance examination. It appeared far too easy. However, just as I thought that, I reached the end of the test. The final three questions were an order of magnitude higher in terms of difficulty. The final math problem couldn't be solved without complex formulae.

RS(Random Student): "No way. These questions are seriously way too hard..." These questions couldn't be geared toward a first-year high school student. The final three questions were clearly of a different quality than the others, so they might have been put on the test by mistake. Even though the results wouldn't be reflected in our grades, what in the hell were they evaluating with this?

Shiro: 'Well, let's ace this exam.' Mashima-sensei monitored us. As he slowly patrolled the classroom, he kept a watchful eye to dissuade us from cheating. I quickly glanced at Arisu, who was confidently doing the test. Her pen danced across the paper as she filled in all of the answers. It looked like she was easily going to get a perfect score. I continued staring intently at my test until the bell rang.

(Timeskip)

It was now May 1st. Mashima-sensei entered the classroom once homeroom began. He was holding a rolled-up posture. His expression was very stern this time.

Tomonari: "Good morning class, your morning homeroom is about to begin. Before we get started, does anyone have any questions? If so, now is the time to speak." He appeared totally convinced that the students had questions they wanted answered. Immediately, several students raised their hands.

Masayoshi: "Sensei, was Takahashi-kun's theory true?" He had a rather serious face as he asked this. He normally was a laid-back guy. It was sort of entertaining to hang out with the guy.

Tomonari: "And what theory might that be, Hashimoto-kun?" He asked. It's clear he is resisting the urge to smirk.

Masayoshi: "About the points. We received less than 100,000 points. So is it true or not?" He pressured. After a bit of silence, Mashima-sensei started to laugh loudly. He was clearly amused by the situation. When I checked my balance this morning, I saw that I had 99,000 points. At that moment, I immediately knew my theory was true.