I know it was selfish, but a part of me knew I could count on Lucas's strong moral code to keep us from crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed. It's who he is and for once, I gave myself permission to just be. To not think. To not be weighed down by responsibility, loyalty, and duty.

It was short-lived, however, for nothing can change the fact that I am married and bound to another man. And even if that man isn't bound to me in the same way, I'm the one who refused to sign the divorce papers that would have set us both free. On that principle alone, I have no right to go behind my husband's back and betray my marriage vows.

Opening the back driver's side door of my CRV, I reach for Mally's hand and help her out. "Good job, baby girl," I tell her, before looking over at her sister, who's still in the car. "Lyssie, can you grab your bag for me?"

"What did you bring for us?" Lyssie asks as she hands me the pink and purple backpack. Then, with an exaggerated jump, she hops out of the car. Her enormous sigh of relief when she sticks the landing makes me smile.

"Well, since Auntie Jen and Auntie Nell love to color, I brought your crayons and coloring books. Oh, and your iPads which you can have after you eat all your dinner. The veggies too."

"Yay, yay, yay. I'm going to eat everything. All my veggies, even if they taste like poo!" Lyssie skips ahead of us, bouncing excitedly while Mally, who's holding my hand, beams in wonder at her big sister's antics.

"Lyssie Baby, no potty talk," I correct. "Now remember, we're here to meet Uncle Lucas. He's not used to bouncy little girls, so let's keep the ants in our pants under control. Oh, and remember, inside voices, please."

"I'll be super, super quiet." With her pointer finger against her lips, she whispers loudly, "See, like this, Mally." She coaches her baby sister, who, by the way, hasn't said a single word since leaving our house. "We can't be loud." She loud whispers again, and no matter how hard I fight it, I can't help but chuckle at my over-the-top daughter.

"Great job. Now. Are we ready?" I look toward Mally and wait for her to give the okay.

When she nods, I open the unlocked door. Immediately, we're greeted by the sounds of laughter and the smell of home-cooked goodness. When we enter, Alyssa runs ahead towards the living room. Alone with Mally in the foyer of my childhood home, I take a second to look around.

When Daddy was alive, this was the sunshine room. With its bright yellow walls, cherry wood entry table, and the big colorful flower arrangements he replaced every week, this was the most welcoming room in our house. Unfortunately, a few days after Mom broke the news of her engagement, the colored walls and the happiness that existed in this house disappeared. Now, with its plain white walls and barely there decor, the place no longer feels like home. There's no life here. No contrast of any kind. No joy to be found in a place that was once larger than life.

"There she is. Come here, my sweet Mallory" With her sing-song voice, Mom prances into the room. Reaching for Mallory, she lifts her into her arms, in the process forcing her little hand from mine.

"Mom, be careful. She's too big for you to be picking up."

"Nonsense, right Mallory? Grammy can pick you up whenever she wants, can't she, baby?" She tickles Mally under her chin, eliciting a small smile from my sweet, shy girl. When mom turns to head into the living room, Mally panics. Her little eyes go wide with fear, and she thrusts her hands in my direction as she emits a scared whimper.

"Mom, wait." I step ahead, blocking her way as I reach out to take my daughter from her. "Here, let's let her walk. Remember, it takes her a minute to get comfortable. She'll lead the way when she's ready. Right Mally baby?" I give her a soft smile, gently squeezing her little hand for added reassurance.