Chapter 69: Offer

Shout out to Infinity21, who constantly waits for every author's 69th chapter with dogged determination. He has literally been counting the weeks down since July.

Toren Daen

I sat on the corpse of a giant beast with dark skin and a disproportionate body. Its tail was segmented in several places, and I knew from experience that it could attach and detach at certain points to create a complex fighting style.

I slowly let my Acquire phase drift back into my core. The red chains on my arm slowly dimmed, then ceased glowing entirely. I knew that the runic feather stems that shone under my eyes had disappeared, and my pupils–which had turned to molten fire–reverted to their normal hazel. The heartfire in the aether beast's chest had extinguished a few moments ago, yet I knew that my ability to see a person's lifeforce had vanished in turn.

I would need my Bond's assistance to work through the assimilation process again soon. Using my Phoenix Will accelerated the need for dispersing mana through my bones and organs.

"That wasn't so bad," I said with a weary smile as Oath and Promise drifted into their sheaths. Truthfully, my rate of improvement and growth had outstripped the challenges thrown at me as I ascended these platforms.

Except for one.

"Your control and technique have indeed improved," Lady Dawn affirmed from the side, appraising the corpse. I'd collected a few accolades from the monsters I'd slain so far, good materials and remnants that an artificer or instiller could use to improve their works. This body was no different, seeing as a few horns I'd cut were hovering toward me in an outline of white. "You do not have nearly as many injuries as you did before."

That was also true. As I'd gone through the zone, I had relied heavily on my innate healing factor to rest on the white platforms after boss battles on the black platforms. Yet as my power increased, I was able to avoid taking devastating hits every fight.

A shimmering purple portal appeared near the end of the platform. I blinked as I inspected it, unable to see through to the other side.

"So we're finally done with this zone," I said with a sigh. That was good. I didn't want to go through another red platform.

Lady Dawn must have sensed my unease at the idea of continuing on in this zone. "I should have recognized that trial's effects on your psyche sooner, Contractor," she said, a hint of regret in her tone. "I will not fail you in such a manner again."

I bit back a sigh. The red platforms in this zone tested your mental and physical endurance. But the last one had nearly claimed me, making doubt and despair scrape against the insides of my skull.

"I get why you didn't notice," I said in a short tone. I wasn't upset with her for not realizing the effects. I hadn't noticed them either.

The other red platforms bombarded me with emotions and sensations that were unfamiliar and foreign. One of them made me itch incessantly on every inch of my skin, making it nearly impossible to simply take the steps I needed to get out. Another focused on my sense of amusement, making me feel almost drunk with humor.

But I always had those nagging, depressive thoughts at the back of my mind. What happened to the people I loved in my previous life? How could I hope to change this world?

Those weren't thoughts I hadn't encountered before, so they did not seem out of the ordinary until it was nearly too late.

My bond remained silent, side-eying me as her feather-red hair rustled in an Unseen breeze.

I hopped off the large corpse, using a measured push of telekinesis against the ground to slow my fall. I loped to the portal, looking at its liquid purple finish.