epilogue: spending forever together 101

Anjali reached for her ringing phone with her eyes closed. As soon as she grabbed the phone, she looked at the time and dismissed alarm. It was five thirty in the morning. She knew there was another alarm ringing in half an hour, so she had thirty more minutes to sleep before she had to get out of bed.

She placed the phone back, rolled back towards Karthik and placed her cheek against his chest, draping her arm around him. He moved, bringing his arm around her and pressing a lazy kiss on her head. "Is it time?" he asked, his voice drugged with sleep. They had put an excited Tanya to sleep somehow and stayed awake till one in the morning to secretly decorate the whole house for her birthday.

"We have time," she murmured back, tightening her arm around him. "Go back to sleep."

Karthik turned to his side and gathered Anjali close to his chest, so he can wedge his leg between hers and tangle their ankles. "Did we pay the electricity bill for this month?" Karthik asked out of nowhere, his eyes shooting open.

"I paid it yesterday," Anjali replied. "Shut up and go to sleep, hons. Today is going to be a long special day. We need to be match Tanya's energy or she'll be disappointed."

"Yeah, you're right. It just randomly popped in my mind. That's why I asked," he said, closing his eyes and rubbing semicircles on her bare shoulder with his thumb. "Goodnight, Anjali."

Anjali smiled against his chest. She'd never told him this but she liked the way he never used a nickname on her. Sure, wife and azhagi would be used when he was playful and messing with her. But other than that, he always called her by her name but there was a difference in how he said it. It sounded like Anjli rather than Anjali and she liked it. There was a sense of home attached to it. It brought her the same spark in her chest whenever she met his eyes.

She closed her eyes and it felt like it had just been a minute when the alarm rang again. "Ugh!" Anjali shot up from the bed. Karthik chuckled, his palm slipping under her t-shirt and patting her back.

"Don't you dare laugh," she said, throwing a pillow at his face.

"I still find it funny how much you despise waking up in the morning," he said, pushing himself up from the bed and leaning against the headboard with a teasing smile. "Look at your face. That pout, however cute it might be, isn't going to cure anything, Anjali."

Anjali bundled up her hair in a bun and got down from the bed. She tugged at the sheets, making Karthik double over and slip from his position. "Out of the bed, hons. It's too early to make fun of me," she said, folding the sheet.

Karthik stretched his arms over his head and then walked over to place a firm kiss on the corner of her mouth. "But not too early to throw tantrums?" he whispered and before she could respond, he slapped her ass and walked into the bathroom.

"Karthik!"

She could only hear his boisterous laughter from inside.