Prologue

"Evangeline, it's time

"Evangeline, it's time."

Just like very year, the day had come. The reaping of the 10th annual Hunger Games, and as a student at the academy, Evangeline was expected to watch along with her fellow classmates.

With a final glance over in the mirror, she decided this would do. Gone was her usual red uniform that she was required to wear when attending school, and in its place was something much simpler. A flowy dark green dress with short sleeves that ended at her knees and some short black heels were all she needed. For her hair?

A simple braid would be fine.

With a pair of pearl earrings and her older sister's leather bracelet, she was finished with her look. She liked to think her sister would be proud of her, if she were still here.

"You look lovely, darling."

Adelaide Sweet was a kind woman. She was in her mid forties with dark brown hair that rested right below her shoulders, bits of grey framing her face.

"I don't want to go."

Evangeline hated the hunger games. Every year 24 children from the districts, aged 12 to 18, would fight to the death in an arena where one victor would remain.

"It's barbaric."

"I know, my sweet," her mother brought her into her arms in a warm embrace, "but this is what we must do. It's life in the capitol."

"When will it end?" Evangeline sighed, rested her head on her mother's shoulder.

Evangeline was tall for a girl, taller than her mother, but that wasn't uncommon in the capital. Plenty of woman here were meant to be plump or tall, a show of their status and health. They were well fed and didn't work as hard as those in the districts. But Evangeline wasn't one to boast, someone she had learned from her parents. Her morals were intact and she had more compassion than most in her position. A dangerous thing in the captiol.

"One day. I am sure of it." Adelaide brought her daughter's face into her hands and placed a small kiss on her cheek.

"Now, it's best to get it over with. You've got to be on your way, I'm sure Sejanus is outside."

"He always is." The youngest Sweet managed a small smile.

As the mother and daughter made their way downstairs, the man of the house stood waiting by the door.

William Sweet was a tall man. He who oozed strength, even thought he was almost fifty years old with a salt and pepper mustache and beard to match.

"My most treasured gems." He smiled at them.

"You look lovely, my sweet," he patted Evangeline on the shoulder, "and my beautiful wife."

"Flattery will get you nowhere." Adelaide grinned as she laced her arm through her daughter's and they continue out the door and towards the elevator of their apartment building.