Train Station Meetings

When the reaping ceremony was over, the crowd inside the building was dismissed

Sejanus and Evangeline waited by the door as the people left, they waited in silence until the last few trickled out.

"I'm so sorry, Sejanus." Evie decided to break the silence.

"I knew him, you know? Back in two. He helped me once, when I had slammed my finger so hard I just knew it would swell. But Marcus picked up some snow from the window to help keep it down. No one even asked him to, he just did it." Sejanus recalled. It made Evie sad to see him so upset.

"Do you think he remembers you?"

"They all probably do. They all remember that I'm a traitor."

"It's not your fault, your father made you leave." When he didn't meat her eyes, she kept going, "you didn't have a choice, you were just a kid."

"I know. But they don't, they think I just left and have been loving life in the capitol ever since."

The two stood in an uncomfortable silence for an another moment.

"I doubt he'll even talk to me." Sejanus mumbled, feeling disheartened.

"If it makes you feel any better, I probably won't have any luck with Treech."

"Maybe you will. You've always had a big heart, show him that."

"They're district and we're capitol, Sejanus. Someone like him wouldn't want anything to do with someone like me." Evangeline sighed. How could she possibly show this boy that she was on his side?

"We'll worry about it tomorrow. They should arrive in the morning, get some rest at home." Sejanus reached a hand out, and the girl took it with ease.

With that, they made their way out of the building to the car that waited them. The ride back to her apartment was short but quiet. Evie knew that Sejanus was thinking of Marcus, much like she was thinking of Treech. She wondered what we would be like, how he would talk, what his life was like back in seven.

Before she knew it her door was being opened by the driver and she was home. With a goodbye to Sejanus and a thank you to the driver, she made her way up the elevator to the floor she knew her parents would be waiting for her on.

Once she had opened the door, her mother walked out from the kitchen to greet her.

"Oh, my sweet. We heard on the television. How are you doing?" Adelaide came forward but Evangeline's response was cut off my the sound of the phone ringing.

It was already dark outside, who would be calling at this hour?

Adelaide turned back around and answered the phone by the door, "Sweet residence! Adelaide speaking, may I ask who this is?"

A moment of silence as Evie waited to see who had called when Adelaide look up and answered the person on the line, "Yes, she's here. Just a moment please."