Zoo Animals

Coriolanus spared a glance over his shoulder, and, sure enough, every pair of district eyes were on them

"I'm afraid to turn around." Evie whispered as quietly as possible to Snow who was on her left.

"It'll be fine." He whispered back. She slowly peaked over her shoulder too.

"Hi." Snow greeted the tributes as he fully turned around the face them. None of which looked happy to see them, not that she necessarily expected them to be.

"What's the matter, pretty boy? You in the wrong cage?" A dark skinned boy asked. Evie knew him as Reaper, the male tribute from district eleven.

Evangeline finally turned around, taking in the scene around them. Evie's eyes found Treech with an untrained ease, standing less than four feet in front of her with a hand on the railing above his head, watching her with an unmoving gaze.

She almost wanted to cower away at his intense stare, but when she turned to the boy who had spoken to Snow, she realized he was staring at the white haired boy, now on her right side, much the same.

"No, not at all. This cage is delightful." Coriolanus responded, trying to lighten the mood inside the darkness of the vehicle.

The district boy moved fast. He was in front of Coriolanus in a second, pressing him against the wall of the van. Evie took a quick step back and nearly fell into Marcus, who was sitting on the bench to her left.

"Get him Reaper!" Evie heard the boy from eight call out.

"I'll kill you right now." Reaper threatened Snow, and Evie certainly didn't think it was an empty threat.

"He'll do it too. Reaper killed a peacekeeer in eleven." The female tribute Reaper's district confirmed, Evie knew her name to be Dill. The young girl that seemed to be terribly sick. Her eyes never leaving the ground in front of her.

"Quiet Dill-" Reaper was interrupted by a voice from the back of the van.

"There's a girl with him." A shorter girl with choppy bright red hair spoke. The girl from district four. Coral.

The other eyes in the van then turned to the capitol girl in bright red clothing. Now that they had called her out, she could feel their attention shift from Snow and Reaper's confrontation, to her.

"Maybe we should get her too." The boy from four suggested. He must be Mizzen.

"I say we kill them both." The boy from eight, Bobbin, was on his feet. He now stood beside Treech who had yet to remove his gaze from Evie.

"I'm in." The girl from ten, Brandy, agreed. She was less than a foot from Evie, and her eyes alone showed anger enough to maim. Evie found her feet to be frozen in place and her mind had gone blank. What was she going to do now? Coriolanus was trapped and she was one second from earning herself a broken neck from Brandy.