Broken Bottles

The duo in red made their way to Dean Highbottom's classroom, about to enter the class they had skipped earlier that morning

"What do you think he'll say to us?" Evie asked aloud.

"I don't even want to think about it." Snow answered without looking at her. Evie wondered if he was as on edge as her.

He threw open the doors of the classroom not a second later and the two walked inside, making their way up the stairs and towards their seats.

"Your little excursion was in violation of about five different academy rules. Cheif among them, endangering captiol citizens." Highbottom said as Evie and Snow took their seats on either side of Sejanus.

"Who?" Snow rebutted.

"Yourself and Miss Sweet. I'm moving for the game makers to disqualify both of you as mentors immediately." Highbottom answered, without even looking up from his papers.

"What?" Evie exclaimed. Disqualified? She'd only just met her tribute.

"You said that we had to get our tributes to preform, not that we had to stay away." Snow stayed standing in front of his seat as he argued back.

"I'll add insubordination as well." The short man mumbled, his back turned to the pair.

"Holding their hands? Introducing them to people? I mean, I expected this from Evie, but not you, Coryo. You make it look as if we are one and the same as those animals." Arachne's voice rang out from the row of seats below Evie. Evie couldn't help the involuntary eye roll she had.

"Coryo and Evie didn't show those people anything they didn't already know." Sejanus spoke up in their defense.

"I don't need your help, Sejanus."

"Thank you, Sejanus."

Snow and Evie shared a look as they both took their seats, almost like a silent argument about how they each chose to handle Sejanus and his input.

"That the tributes are human beings, just like us." Sejanus continued, "that's why nobody wants to watch the games. Because people know, deep down, that winning a war ten years ago doesn't justify starving people's children. Taking away their freedoms, their rights."

"He's right-" Evie began to support her friend when she was cut off by another voice. A sinister voice.

"Snow and Sweet fell, down in the cage they fell, down in the cage, but they landed..." Dr Gaul interrupted as she slowly began to creep down the stairs next to where Evangeline was sat.

Evie looked to Snow.

"On stage." Snow ended her rhyme, not yet looking at her.

"You're good at games." She smiled, "maybe one day you'll be a game maker like me."

Evie caught Dean Highbottom's own eye roll from the middle of the room.

"If the games continue at all." He huffed.