Chapter Fourteen | The Radio Station

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

They didn't make it to higher ground. After twenty minutes, Zoe insisted that they stopped. Elijah didn't want to waste any more time, but the girl had been through what she probably considered a huge ordeal, so he'd give her a little time to rest.

He stood watch by one of the trees while Jake and Zoe sat a few feet to his right. He tried to think up a plan for once they reached the lab, but all he could hear was Zoe crying about her dog and how she wanted her dads, and it was making it hard for him to concentrate.

"Maybe we should just go back," the girl sniffled.

Jake sounded conflicted when he said, "I don't know how far it is, though. Maybe we're really close to the lab now."

"But it's dangerous," she complained sadly.

Elijah snarled irritably and looked down at her. "Did you think it was going to be like walking through a rich part of a city?" he scoffed. "You're the one looking for evidence or whatever the fuck to prove yourself useful. You willingly got wrapped up in this."

"I didn't know I was going to almost die in a snow mountain and lose Antonio!" she exclaimed as tears trickled down her face.

The demon snarled again and glared ahead.

"I mean...maybe she's right, though," Jake then said. "Those guys almost got away with her. We don't know what's waiting for us at that lab, and—"

"I know," Elijah interjected, glaring down at him. "And the only reason you two are even here with me is because I can't risk you getting captured. Neither of you get to decide whether we continue or not."

Zoe then pouted. "Yeah, well you probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for us, either. I helped you with Lamar's guys—"

"I stopped Lamar's guys from killing your careless ass," Elijah sneered.

"But I stopped them from killing you!" she insisted.

"Right," he grumbled. "I had it under control."

"Sure didn't look like it."

"What are we talking about again?" Jake questioned.

Elijah rolled his eyes and scoured the darkness ahead for any signs of danger, and to his relief, Zoe didn't say anything else; instead, she told Jake about what happened with the lycans in the underground city. But the mention of lycans reminded him of what Luell said, and he didn't want to wait to ask now that Zoe was back. "You can talk to lycans," he said, cutting Jake off. He looked down at her and watched her frown strangely.

She looked a little unsure and said, "Yeah...well, so can you."

"True Speech," Elijah muttered skeptically. "How do you know it?"