The Arena

The ride to the arena was short lived, however Evie took the time to wave at Lyssie before snagging the seat next to Pup Harrington

"Pup, how did it go with Lamina?" Immediately, Evie was diving into conversation.

"She never stops crying. I can't even ask her any questions or figure out her strengths because she's just about drowning in her sobs." Pup seemed exhausted with his tribute.

"Have you tried comforting her? Just trying to be there for her?" Evie suggested.

"It's no use. She won't talk." Pup answered without looking at her.

"Have you given any thought to an alliance? With Treech and Lamina?" She pried, even though he didn't seem to be in the mood for her questions at the moment.

"Please," he huffed, "half of the tributes want him as an ally. I doubt he'll go for Lamina when Coral has her sights set on him."

"Half the tributes? Why do they want him?" Not that Evie wasn't glad they were interested.

"You haven't heard? He's doing great in the capitol, the people really love him." He rolled his eyes yet again and grumbled his answer before turning to look out the window.

Hmm, Evie guessed his juggling really did work on the crowd.

When the academy students arrived to the arena, Evie noticed that the tributes were already lined up, a peacekeeper on their right, and a space next to them on their left reserved for their mentors.

Evie, along with the other mentors, approached their designated spots. Treech seemed nervous, and she couldn't blame him. She had never seen the arena in person before, and she was sure the thought of knowing most of them would be dead tomorrow was really settling in now.

"I'm sure it's not as scary as it seems," Evie whispered to Treech, Pup and Lamina in front of them.

"I could die here tomorrow." He whispered back.

"Hey," she chastised, "don't talk like that. We're gonna come up with a plan and you're gonna survive this."

Treech didn't seem convinced.

"I promise." Evie whispered, grabbing Treech's hand with hers.

Treech wouldn't meet her eyes, but he squeezed her hand in his, and that was good enough for her.

Suddenly her hand was yanked away from Treech's and she was pulled into another body.

Treech turned quickly in an attempt to reach for her hand again, but stopped when he noticed who had her attention.

"We need to have a talk."

Evangeline looked up to see Coriolanus staring down at her. He didn't seem very happy at the moment.