Seven Tributes Remain

It seemed that Dr

It seemed that Dr. Gaul only wanted to speak with Coryo. Evangeline truly questioned just how much of a star pupil he was becoming, she was starting to see how Dr. Gaul favored him above all other students.

Evie was patched up by a medic while Dr. Gaul lead the blonde boy to her five to stitch up his shoulder, and then the two were driven home.

The ride was silent, both Coryo and Evie lost in thought. Neither of them spared the other a glance. Evie had watching Coryo kill a boy tonight, and she didn't know how to feel about it.

Yes, Bobbin had tried to kill them, but was the overkill necessary? Did Coryo need to bash the boy's head in after he was already unconscious?

Her train of through was broken then the car pulled up to the curb outside of her apartments, coming to a stop in front of the main door. The capitol due then parted ways, Evie gave the boy a small wave, "Goodnight, Coryo."

He only waved back slightly before the car drove off, leaving Evie standing outside in darkness.

She was afraid to go in. Afraid for her parents to see her like this. She was covered in dust and grim no doubt from her fall on the arena floor. Sweaty from the run as the tributes chase them. Her uniform sleeve soaked with blood and torn from the blade. She must've looked a mess.

But it was late, past midnight. She hoped her parents and Rose were asleep so she could sneak in quietly.

She gently opened the front door and closed it behind her, quiet as a mouse. When she heard no footsteps, she continued up the stairs to her room. Once inside, with the door locked behind her, the girl nearly collapsed.

She needed a shower. Immediately.

She observed the stitches in her arm once she was out, standing in front of her mirror in nothing but a towel. The blood had been cleaned off by the medic, but the red irritated from the injury was still prominent. Evie had never needed stitches in her entire life, and now she had three in her head from the bombing and five in her arm from a sword.

The girl couldn't seem to catch a break for the life of her. Sleep wouldn't come easy, but she knew she was going to need it for tomorrow.

So she lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking of anything and everything. She thought of Lamina on that beam, and Marcus who now lay dead beneath her.

She thought of Sejanus and the grief he must feel. She thought of Treech in his alliance, and hoped he was fairing well for himself at that moment.

And she even thought of Coryo. And Lucy Gray, the girl from twelve. And eventually, sleep stole her from the conscious world.

Evie's parents were gone when she woke up. They had both left early for work that morning and wouldn't be seeing her off like they did the day before.