𝐈𝐈. don't scare off the newbie

Start from the beginning

"I don't," Scarlett shook her head.

"Yeah, you do. It's not like I'm forcing you to be here with me," Annabeth countered. "You could have gone on your merry way, and do what every grumpy thing you do—"

"I am not grumpy."

   "But you decided to come with me. So that's gotta mean something."

Scarlett crossed her arms. "Why can't you just be his friend?"

"When the time comes, I'll introduce myself," Annabeth answered. They made their way to the infirmary, but they immediately ducked behind a bush, when they see Percy already outside, wandering to Mr. D's office.

  "What is he doing?" Annabeth looked puzzled. Both girls quickly and quietly went up the steps to see what he was doing.

  "Annabeth? Scarlett?" They turned around and saw a surprised Grover. "What are you two doing here?"

  "We were just checking on, Percy," Annabeth told him.

  "Totally not stalking," Scarlett quipped.

  Grover looked between the two girls and sighed. "Do you know where he went? I lost him."

  "Seems like he's about to have fun conversation with Mr. D," Scarlett pointed to the direction Percy went to in Mr. D's office.

  "Oh gods," Grover paled. "Wait, wait, wait!" He exclaimed as he jogged over to them. Scarlett stifled a laugh.

  Annabeth took her invisibility cap. Scarlett gave her a look.

  "Are you serious?"

  "Seeing Percy talk to Mr. D for the first time? I'm not missing that," Annabeth laughed. "You should go back to your cabin, so you won't get caught. Chiron is gonna show him around, and then you'll meet him there,"

  Scarlett nodded. "Tell me what happens,"

  Even though she was totally against this whole idea, it was amusing to picture how their conversation would be.

  Annabeth grinned and put on her cap. "Don't scare him away,"

"No promises," Scarlett said. After a few seconds, she realized Annabeth already left, snd she was just talking to air.

Scarlett let out an exaggerated sigh, and walked back to her cabin. It was loud and lively, everyone chattering amongst themselves. She made her way to her shared bunk bed with Oliver. She sat down, and noticed Luke setting up a sleeping bag, a blanket, pillow, and a backpack nearby. 

   "Is that for the new kid?" Scarlett asked curiously.

  "Yeah, he's going to be arriving soon," Luke nodded as he rolled the blanket. "Annabeth thinks he's the one, doesn't she?"

  Scarlett nodded exasperatedly, and flopped on her bed.

  "And you think he is too, don't you?"

  "I dunno," Scarlett shrugged nonchalantly. "Maybe,"

   Luke chuckled, and stood up. "Scar, it's okay to admit you're curious. You want to know more about him. Maybe you guys can be friends."

   "That's what Annabeth wants me to do," Scarlett told him. "she wants me to get information on him,"

  "Typical, Annabeth," Luke rolled his eyes fondly. "But honestly? I think you should. It's not like you have many friends."

  "You say it like it's a bad thing."

  "Scar, while I do respect your independence, having more people in your corner wouldn't hurt." Luke told her gently. "Just at least be nice to the kid, okay? Try not to scare him off, he could be really fragile right now."