Chapter 10: Midterms and Chess

Shiro POV

Today was the midterms.

Tomonari: "There seem to be no absences today. That's good" Mashima-sensei remarked with a bold smile on his face.

Tomonari: "This will be your first obstacle. Are you ready?" To this, we all nodded.

Tomonari: "I see. Very well. Good luck." Everyone wore a confident look. The teacher promptly took up the test papers and passed them out. Our first-period test was for social studies. Out of everything we'd studied, it was probably the easiest subject.

Tomonari: "If anyone stumbles here, the other tests will be an uphill battle. You'll take this midterm and the final exam in July. If no one fails either test, you'll be rewarded with a vacation during your summer break."

RS: "A vacation?"

Tomonari: "That's right. A dream vacation on an island surrounded by the brilliant blue sea." An island? And dream vacation? I find that really hard to believe.

This is most probably a test for us. Hmm, it's possible that it's some sort of special exam that's meant to help us acquire Class Points. I guess I have to wait to find out.

Masayoshi: "Alright guys, let's do our best!"

All boys(except Shiro and Kohei): "Yeah!" *Sigh*.

Before long, everyone had their test papers. On the Mashima-sensei's signal, everyone began. I held off on starting for a moment and looked around at the others. They all got to work and began solving the questions. I then began solving my questions which, mind you, were very easy.

I then came across a question that was in one of the test papers of the White Room. Seeing this, I remembered how I wrote the wrong answer and got beaten up for that. However, I now knew the correct answer, so it didn't matter anymore.

The second and third period exams were for Japanese and chemistry, respectively. They also weren't that difficult. However, the Japanese exam made some of the students uncomfortable due to how lengthy it was. Arisu had completed the Japanese exam 30 minutes earlier and the Chemistry exam an hour earlier. I also noticed that the topics she was mainly studying and helping the other students with were almost the exact same as what came in the exam. This further shows her immense intellectual abilities.

Then came the fourth period. Mathematics. All of the abnormally difficult questions that had been featured on the mock test also appeared here. However, thanks to my and Arisu's teaching, the students did not face much trouble solving those questions.

Finally came English. The exam was almost as lengthy as Japanese. However, due to unfamiliarity with English, it was far more difficult. Some students including Yahiko, who was a top supporter of Katsuragi, were visibly sweating while solving the exam. I still found it pretty easy and from the looks of it, so did Arisu.

After a while, we were done with all the exams and the rest of the students started asking each other how their exam went. Hashimoto and Kito then approached me.

Masayoshi: "Yo Prince! How did it go?"

Shiro: "It went fine. What about you two?" I replied and asked the two with an almost blank expression.

Masayoshi: "Well, I'd say that I did pretty well."

Shiro: "Hm. And what about you, Kito?"

Hayato: "It was good." The black-haired boy replied. Things seem fine with those two.

???: "Hey! How was it?" Suddenly, Morishita called out to the 3 of us as she approached our group.

Shiro: "It was fine for all 3 of us. What about you?"