The Victor

The buzzer sounded immediately after, claiming the young district eight girl as dead

"Not candy! Down goes Wovey!" Lucky exclaimed as Evie scoffed at his word choice. She reached into the school bag at her side and threw one of her pens at the side of his head.

It ricocheted off his temple and clattered to the floor by his feet.

"Ouch! Who threw that?"

Dozens of gasps erupted from the arena at the sight of snakes coating the floor of the arena.

Evie watched as Treech took off running before the others had registered the threat, grabbing Lucy Gray's arm as he passed her and tugging her along with him. The two ran towards another pile of rubble in the arena, Coral and Mizzen hot on their trail with the snakes were right behind them.

Treech made his way up first, being the experienced climber that he was, before turning around to extend a hand to Lucy Gray.

A helpless scream came from Mizzen as he tripped across the snakes, he called for Coral but it was too late. The snakes practically made a blanket over the boy in less than a second.

Coral did turn at the sound, and her face said it all. Her lips wobbled as her eyes shined, she had just lost a piece of home. And now she was about to lose herself.

The buzzer sounded, "Mizzen!" Lucky gestured with his hand behind him towards Persephone, "Say goodbye!"

Festus nearly jumped for joy at the tributes dropping like flies from the snakes. He hoped this would better Coral's odds of winning.

What the hell were these things?

Evie had never seen a snake kill so fast. It was like one bite was enough to end a life  in mere seconds.

Lucy Gray clutched Treech's hand as he pulled her up onto the beam and the two crawled as far away from the snakes as they could get.

The snakes had made their way over to Reaper and his morgue of fallen tributes. He simply sat and accepted his fate, closing his eyes and letting the snakes climb up his body, covering his chest and face. Then the boy slumped over and the buzzer sounded yet again.

Another fallen tribute, but there was no mentor to be dismissed after, seeing as Clemensia was still out with the flu.

Coral kept going, trying to save herself from these vicious creatures. But Evie knew these weren't ordinary snakes, they were quicker than anything she had ever seen. Certainly quicker than the district four tribute. She tried to climb up after Treech and Lucy Gray but the snakes had gotten to her ankles.

"Please, Lucy Gray! I'm begging you! Treech, help!" Coral had fallen, reaching out to duo on the rubble. Both still backing away from the redhead and the deathly beings attached to her.

"It's not fair, it's not." she sputtered as the snakes began coiling around her arms and neck, "I can't have killed them all for nothing."

Evie could see the failure in her eyes, and she truly felt sympathy for the young girl. They were all just children after all, thrown into that arena with only one way out.