Chapter 40

We're taken to the throne room. "Bring the pole." The Emperor orders a guard.

The pole? What does he plan on doing to Miles?

The guard arrives with a few more guards carrying a very large wooden pole a minute later. The guests from the party seem to have been called down as well, most of them in robes and nightgowns now.

All the nobles in the room hush down, as if they know what our punishment is. Will he tie Miles to the pole for a few days without food or drink? Is that his punishment?

"Put Jasmine on." Warui screeches. What? Me? "Let her lover watch her be flogged."

My eyes widen in horror. No. It couldn't be. He wouldn't dare. Two guards grab me by my arms and tie them around the pole. They do the same to my feet.

"Meet General Darrow, Jasmine." My eyes blaze with anger when they fall on the general. He'll enjoy this, that much is for sure. He's wanted to hurt me since the day we met. "He'll carry out your punishment."

Miles staggers back, and the guards steady him. "No! Punish me instead. Please." Miles screams. I see Yuri pursing her lips. How can she just watch? How can any of the nobles?

General Darrow picks up a whip. "20 lashes." The Emperor orders.

Darrow cuts the back of my shirt, leaving me in the shift that I'd bound to my chest a few minutes ago, now barely holding on to my breasts. Silent tears stream down my face. I hear loud gasps around me, the loudest from Miles. I hear Yuri's sharp intake of breath.

They must've seen my back. Marks like the ones I will soon get already mark my back. 10 of them. Gods, the humiliation. "Get it on with it already!" I yell to the general.

I look the Emperor in the eyes as the first lash falls on my back. Uncowering, I continue staring as I count the lashes. 2. 3. 4. 5.

I feel blood drip down my back. I hear Miles begging for me, but his voice fades to the background, like I'm in another room. 6.7.8.9.10.

"That's enough, General. Let everyone see how merciful of an Emperor I can be." The general unties me and helps me up when I fall down. He smirks at my back, proud of the marks he's etched into it forever.

I broke my gaze with the Emperor for the first time, looking at Miles. He's fallen to his knees. Yuri stands next to him. She nods to me, a sign of her respect, that I did not once break.

Amelia stands next to them, not taking her eyes off the floor, as if not wanting to see what was done to me. She looks ashamed. She shouldn't be. I only have myself to blame.

"Now the boy." The Emperor demands. I turn my gaze back to him. I thought it was only I who would be punished.

"No. He won't be flogged." I whisper.

"No? I am Emperor, and my word is law." He bellows.

"You won't do it."

"Watch me, my dear." Miles is taken to the pole. Four guards surround me, pulling me away from the pole and next to Yuri and the Emperor.

I stare at the Emperor, refusing to look, as Miles is being tied up. "Twenty lashes. Fully, this time. For Princess Jasmine." The Emperor smirks.

How is this the same man the empress wrote about?

I look at Yuri, pleading for her to stop this with my eyes. She looks away, ashamed. I harden my heart. No one will save us now.

As the first lash falls on his back, I scream. On the second, I look at Warui and screech, "I will burn you for this."

The court falls silent at my words. The only sound is Miles' cries as his back is torn open by a whip. I force myself to watch. To see the consequences of my failure. Because I have failed. I failed Miles. I failed myself.

After the twentieth lash, Darrow unties Miles, and he collapses on the ground. I break free of my guard's grip and run to Miles, falling to my knees and whispering to Miles. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. This is my fault."

I'm sobbing into his hair, gripping him harder than I should be, feeling my wounds burning. But it doesn't matter. All that matters is him.

He pulls himself from my embrace, and I'm suddenly aware of all the nobles looking at us. Sympathizing or not, but doing nothing anyway, just watching us break.

"It's not your fault, Jas. I knew this was a risk when I came here." He wipes the tears that drown my cheeks.

"I promise you, Miles. I will make him pay for this. By the Gods above. I will exact my revenge. One way or another. I will burn him."

Fear shines in Miles' marble eyes, and he shrinks away from me. I move away from him. I scared him. He tries to reach for me, but I'm too far away.

"Now. Now. Don't be dramatic. Jas." The Emperor mocks. "Take her to the dungeons. Put her in the interrogation room; I'll have fun with her. And no healer is to be sent." A sadistic grin makes its way to his ugly face.

"Yes, Father." Yuri bows her head.

"No. Not you. I suspect you were in on this. Kyoshi will take her."

Kyoshi? I thought she wasn't here. I look around the room, searching for her. I see her standing by the door. In the same clothes as earlier today, in the same tiara. I narrowed my eyes in suspicion. Kyoshi doesn't seem like the type to wear the same gown and tiara twice.

"Let's go, Jasmine. You must be tired." She took my arm. Careful not to touch my back, she puts a cloak over me to hide my body.

"Take the boy to the cell, and bring him a healer. Let it be known how merciful Edessa can be." I hear the emperor bellowing when we're at the door. At least they'll tend to Miles.

Murmurs become louder and louder, praising the emperor for his grace and kindness.

I've already been through this once before, and I know I can survive the pain. I shudder as I feel the lashes burning, and I pass out from the pain. The last thing I feel is being lifted into someone's arms.