Chapter 42

The emperor spends days cutting into every inch of my body and watching in fascination as it stitches itself back together.

He doesn't give the lashes on my back a chance to heal, though. When the wounds start closing, he rips them open again with a sharp knife.

How is this the man who called me daughter just a few hours ago?

How is this the man that was described in the empresses journal?

In the beginning, I tried to hold back my screams, trying not to give him satisfaction in his work. But when I realised he wouldn't stop, I gave up, my screams echoing in the room.

"Now, Jasmine. I have a special gift for you." He says while lighting a torch from one of the candles in the room.

I scramble in my shackles as he moves closer, my entire body burning up in pain.

"Let's see if the phoenix wielder is immune to fire, shall we?"

He thinks I'm the phoenix wielder too?

He crouches down in front of me on the floor and brings the flame close to my face. The heat scorches my skin, giving off the smell of burning flesh.

I scream and scream, wondering why no one is coming to save me.

When I feel my features literally melting off, he pulls the torch away, moving it to my thigh instead.

I pull against the shackles holding me against the wall, to no avail. There is no way I'm getting out of this room alive. It's my last thought before I pass out again.

********************************************************************

"Is this really necessary, father? The punishment does not fit the crime. The lashing was more than sufficient." I hear a familiar voice speak.

"Her crime is being born. I've been waiting for this day, daughter. I will make him regret the day he stole her from me."

"Reconsider, father. Nineteen years is a long time to hold a grudge, especially against a girl who was not involved at all." The woman replies after a moment of hesitation. "My mother is dead, and he is sickly. You are not punishing him with your actions; you are only hurting her."

"I will take my revenge, one way or the other."

"If she gets out of here alive, you will be making an enemy of the strongest woman in the continent, father. The phoenix's heir. You cannot expect your actions to be forgiven. By the Gods above, Zadona may just stike you down to ashes." She sounds frustrated, an emotion we share at the moment.

I continue pretending to be asleep, trying to gather more information. They strapped me back onto the bed, probably to cut me up some more.

I notice how almost all of my wounds have healed, except for the lashes on my back.

I silently pray to Nophine to take my life. Death is my only hope now since the woman's pleas are falling on deaf ears.

"Then I'll have to make sure she doesn't get out of here alive." The emperor turns to face me, dismissing the woman. "I know you're awake, dear Jasmine."

I open my eyes. The woman who was speaking is Yuri. She stands on the other side of the room with her hands behind her back, which I've come to realise is her usual pose.

She looks disheveled, with dark circles under her eyes and unkempt hair.

"I'm sorry." She speaks so softly that I almost don't hear her.

"Since you are so sympathetic to our prisoner, daughter, why don't you take over my job?" The emperor sighs dramatically and hands her a lit torch, making my eyes widen in horror. Again? "Have your turn; she's the one that took your mother away from you, after all."

Yuri flinches when he pushes the torch into her hands. I've never seen her this horror stricken. Her eyes flit back and forth between the emperor and my rumpled form on the bed.

I plead with my eyes for her not to move.

"If you do not do this, Yuri, you will be stripped of your rank. I will not have an insolent daughter as an heir. Your rank as general will also be taken from you."

I close my eyes in resignation. "Do it. I'll heal anyway."

"No father. She is my sister." Her voice cracks on the last word. "She's an heir in her own right. I will not face her wrath."

My eyes fly open. She won't do it? My relief is short lived though, because of Wariu's next words.

"Then I'll get Kyoshi to do it."

"Keep Kyoshi out of this. You've corroded her; you made her think that Jasmine is the reason we lost our mother, but you're wrong." She pauses to take her breath. "You are the reason we lost our mother. You drove her away. You can't even blame King Alistir. It was your mistakes that led to her leaving, and it is about time you come to terms with it."

I watch as tears flow down her cheeks, her anger and pain obvious. I can't make sense of half of the words she says.

Why would the emperor blame me for the empress leaving?

"Leave, Yuri. Before I put you on a bed next to jasmine to be burned, only you won't heal."

Yuri gives me a fleeting glance before leaving. Leaving me to my doom.