PROLOUGE 2: BRINETTE

*BRINETTE

*BRINETTE. The Afternoon before Star Day*

       Perfect. I looked at myself in the mirror, smiling contently at a perfect wing that took me nearly 20 minutes to actually complete. Most people would groan in annoyance, but to me this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I loved getting ready and looking good, especially for a formal event. I didn't get to do it too much on account of my title as the Minister's daughter. Just imagine, a teen girl held back by religion. Not that I hated my religion, of course not. In fact it was a huge part of me. Going to church every weekend, even sometimes throughout the week, wasn't bad to me. I guess I just wished things were a little less strict.

       Still it could be worse. Plus the practice of Humarist was one I truly valued. It was built on the understanding of human experience, not on supernatural beliefs. Speaking of which, I also wasn't one to judge. I didn't care what you believed in, who you were, very few people end up on my hate list. Empathy was my #1 value. Thats probably why I was so popular. Even with all the people I knew though, I could only really say that I had two friends. Leo and Viva. Who I just so happen to be going to a party with.

        Oh yeah. The party. I groaned at my spacing out and return to getting myself ready. My head was all over the place. I pulled the rollers out of my hair, letting the brunette strands fall onto my pale shoulders. Perfect.

       All of that and I still didn't even get dressed. Luckily, my parents weren't home so I could actually put on something immodest for once. I knew that they would see me on the news at some point but it was a problem I would deal with after the party. I got up, heading to my walk-in closet, probably the best birthday gift I ever got, and walking down to a secret section in the back. The painted white wood held some of my favorite things. I opened the door and smiled all giddy like, the items came into my view.

       "Holy dresses!" I screamed, grabbing a bunch and quickly trying them on. Sticking with a silver short tube dress that had an undercut revealing just a little glimpse of my breast. Of course I had to accessorize I thought as my phone started ringing, a video call coming in with the caller id:

Father <3

       "Shit." I cursed out quickly covering my dress with a white towel and ran to my vanity before answering.

        "Bri!" My mother called out from the phone. I could see they were in my father's truck. Likely heading to some retreat.

        "Hi mom, I'm getting ready for the party."

        "I know, I'm calling to let you know Leon and Laviva are arriving in about 20 minutes. We're sorry we couldn't be there to send you off but you look gorgeous!"

        "Thank you mom" I roll my eyes, my face growing slightly red "I'll be ready by then for sure. Just to pick out a dress"

        "Ok sweetie, be safe, take lots of pictures maybe we can post them on the churches story?" She smiles with full teeth showing. Her brunette hair was pulled back into a bun that revealed her surprisingly clear face for a 40 year old woman.

        "Sure thing. Let me know how the retreat goes, I promise I'll be at the next."

         "Oh don't apologize, you've done enough. You're just a teen, go out and have fun." She says, a little static coming through as she hands the phone over to my father.

         "Look at you! My little girl's all grown up. And thank you, for your devotion to our belief. I couldn't have asked for-" The phone starts cutting even more. I guess they're heading out of the city. Scary. Very few people ever do that and if they did it was barely any distance out of Illios.

         "Oh- The phones are cutting out. I love you guys, see you soon." I blow a kiss to the phone before hanging up and dropping my head onto my pillow.

          "Time for a party." I say to myself, getting up and heading to my jewlery bin, of course dropping my towel on the way. I roll up some gloves, put on some pearls on my neck and wrist. Finding some matching white heels in my mom's closet. I strap on a purse and head down to the living room to wait.

         My home was pretty nice actually. Certainly cozy. It was a modern house, 90% of it smothered in white paint. The floor was a bright brown wood with a glossy finish, that being a recurring trait around the house. The living room was again, flat with brown and whites all around, the pillows of various colors being the only pop of color against a pearly white couch. Said couch I immediately slouch into and look up at the sun roof.

        If the room was so peaceful and calm, why did I feel off? Something just wasn't right.

         My thoughts were cut off by a ding on my phone.

Leon the Cutie: -We're outside. Ready to get your 'party' on? :)

Bri:-Of course!! I'm coming out right now.

        I get off the couch, heading to the door as I lock up with my silver keys that I place into my bag. Turning around I see the limo right on the street in front of the house, the path through the lawn being the only thing separating us. Passing through, I pick up 3 white roses from my mother's garden out front and rush over to the car.

        As I reached out for the handle, Jamie, Leo's Butler, grabbed it and opened the door. He bows before ushering my in, a flat smile across his face "Good Afternoon Ms. Lauve"

        "Thank you Jamie" I flash a sparkly smile back at him and head into the Limo, immediately greeted by my two favorite people.

        Now this, this feels normal. And all of a sudden my worries about my home all vanish into bliss.