Epilogue

For the next 60 years, Coriolanus Snow would send Evangeline Sweet a single white rose on her birthday

A constant reminder that she was welcome home, that he was waiting for her return to the capitol.

But the moment would never come.

Treech Mason would die at 78 years old of old age, warm in his bed with his wife at his side, his children full grown, and his grandchildren alive. Evangeline would die two months later just before her 78th birthday surrounded by her family.

The year after her death Coriolanus Snow's promise to never harm her would be broken. Their granddaughter, Johanna Mason, would be reaped for the 71st hunger games.
And she would become a victor of district seven.

Her family would be murdered when she refused to sell her body to the capitol like the precious victors before her.
Coriolanus Snow would kill Evangeline's children and grandchildren, leaving only Johanna Mason as the sole survivor of the her family.

Five years later, Johanna Mason would be a part of something much bigger.

The sudden sound of the curtain opening startled Katniss Everdeen from her sleep. The brown haired girl shot up in surprise from her hospital bed, looking for the source of the sound.

"Well, there she is. The mockingjay."

Johanna Mason looked like hell.

After her rescue from the capitol, where she had been tortured mercilessly for information about the mockingjay, she had suffered many injuries. Her bald head, bruised and damaged skin, and blood shot eyes did nothing to help her case.

She let out a sigh before stepping forward toward Katniss, "Ah, that speech you gave... Oh, man, I still have goosebumps."

Katniss watched as the older woman took hold of her arm from her seat on the bed of the hospital bed, rubbing the skin before turning her forearm over to rip the IV out.

Katniss let out a grunt of pain at the action.

"You don't mind, do you? They cut off my supply of morphling. There's this head doctor that comes in and sees me every day trying to help me 'adjust to reality.' Like some guy from this rabbit's warren actually knows anything about my reality." Johanna went on talking as she attached the IV to her own arm, flicking the tube to make sure the morphling ran smoothly.

"At least twenty times in a session, he tells me that I'm totally safe. Safe from the capitol, safe from Snow," Johanna took a breath and closed her eyes at the notion before opening them again to look Katniss in the eye.